Chapter 2

Chapter 2

 Raewinn was a happy child who lived for the outdoors. The birds, bees and butterflies captured her imagination, and even the toads and spiders became her friends. But Raewinn was lonely, she talked to the animals but they could never talk back. Her mother and father were continuously visiting faraway places, and she was not allowed to mix with the other children. The many get-away attempts were short lived, as a new security system was set up throughout the castle. Dreams were the only way that Raewinn got the freedom that she so rightfully deserved.

After much begging and perseverance from young Rae, the Queen became pregnant. Eager with anticipation, Rae knitted socks and mittens for the baby. Rae had already asked her father if they could buy matching outfits, she did not care if it was a boy or a girl. She just wanted company, a friend, someone to play with. At a ball the year before, Rae had met a young prince. Her mother told her that one day she would marry him, and they would rule Fanaes hand in hand. Even then, Rae knew that she did not want to marry him. In fact, she didn’t want to marry at all. Her future was set on riding horses through the countryside, living wild in forests and being one with the animals.

 She hated being a princess. The three weeks between seeing her parents, the travelling, and the constant balls where she was expected to behave ‘like a young princess’. It was not all glamour and money; she knew that it was a very serious business. Her father often came home weary and depressed, not wanting to see her, and going straight to bed. Her mother had not always been a princess; her parents were the Lord and Lady of Rythdil. They were 15, It was love at first sight. And although her mother made her act like a princess, she knew that her mother only wanted the best for her, and she loved her for that.

When the night finally arrived, the Queen was rushed to the hospital wing, the best doctors in all their kingdoms travelled from far and wide to help deliver the special baby. Raewinn’s birth had been traumatic, and suspension was hanging in the air like a thick fog for the arrival of their second child. Raewinn spent the whole night waiting and listening for the soft cry of her little sibling.

She did her a cry, but not a soft cry, a loud cry. It was the cry of pain, anger, guilt and sadness. It was the cry of the King: her father, wailing over and over again. It took her a few minute to realise what he was shouting. Everda, Everda, Everda: an on-going chant, ringing through her ears. Her mother’s name, she could hear it loud and clear. Not wanting to listen any more, Raewinn left. The night was long and lumbering; it seemed to go on for eternity. Endless sobs coming from deep within her, shook Raewinn’s tiny body. There was no-one there to cradle her, nobody to tell her that everything would be alright.

From a dreadful night’s sleep, Raewinn finally awoke. There was an unexplainable empty feeling at the centre of her heart. She dressed silently. Walking through halls, which were usually filled with the noise and bustle of her servants going about their daily duties. Everything was unnaturally quiet. Her footsteps echoed around the cold stone walls. When she arrived at the breakfast table, she saw that there were only two places laid at the table. ‘Where’s mummy’. Silence... Not a single word even brushed her father’s lips.

Raewinn ate, and ate. But no matter how much food she consumed, nothing would fill up the gaping hole in her heart. Her usually ravenous father, sat, staring into the space about one meter above her head. Fredmrath, the breakfast Butler smiled weakly. ‘Sorry for your loss’. That was all it took to make the King erupt with salty tears.

d

Five years had gone by since the death of Raewinn’s mother, and still she remembered that day as if it were yesterday. The haunting screams evaded her dreams by night, and she had not been near the hospital wing since that fretful evening. Her father addressed everyone coldly and he was away more and more. Their infrequent meetings always had a formal air, no hugging, no kissing, and calling each other by their titles. 

When The Queen died the world shifted, as if it were covered by a large black coat. Merchants in the street would no longer smile at passers-by children would rarely venture out from their doorsteps. The mourning was ongoing and gradual, like the ticking of a clock. Nobody dared to sing, laugh or shout. Crying babies were either shushed or ignored. The devastation caused, showed just how much she was loved. Not only by those who knew her, but by those who had been effected by her generosity.

Raewinn loved her mother dearly, but even she couldn’t help but wonder when this awful hush would end.  And it did end, but not in a way that everyone expected.

The Weeping King, as he was now known, arose from his pit sorrow. He ordered a massive congregation; everyone from all of the kingdoms was invited. Princes, duchesses, merchants, peasants, men, women and children were all gathered together for the festivities. He said that it was to celebrate the life of the old queen and welcome the new queen. This was one of the grand occasions where Raewinn would meet suitors that hoped to marry her. She was not interested in men, and up until now she had only met those that worked for her and her close relatives. But for now it didn’t matter, her father had done something exciting for once; he had done something for everyone.

Everyone was told to wear their best clothes, dressmakers who had tired of only using black, had orders for colourful ball gowns.  The King requested that all caterers come forward and signed a register to come and help prepare for the banquet. Maids, servants and waiters were called upon to help serve the delicacies. Everyone was envolved.