The Storm in the City

A single, heavy raindrop heraled the onset, clouds thar had the appearance of dirty white had taken a much more threatening oppressing the humidity that broke across the concrete city to breaking point, water surged out of the clouds as if a gaint tap had been breeched. Thunder bellowed in a deafening crescendo, announcing the arrival of a jagged white, blue scars that rent the thick blackness. Arcs of super heated electric blushedthe surrounding dark air. Water cascended down the grey walls dripping down drains.

The city was in chaos as people ran for cover ducking in at any small shelter a handful of people braving it with their umbrellas dripping. The noise was madding; cars horns sounded as the skidded to a holt as a motorist zoomed past soaking anyone passing by as it flow through a puddle, sending droplets of water in every direction. Car lights shone brightly, windowscreen wipers squeaked at the speed they were going. Drivers squinted through their steamed up windows missing their chance to drive on as the traffic lights flashed to green. Bins overflowed covering the wet pavement in litter. Empty packets were sent flying as people kicked them in their haste to reach shelter.

The city was alive with people rushing about, as suddenly as the rain came it stopped revealing a mass of deep blue sky. The pavements steamed as thw heat of the sun hit them. A body lay lifeless on the drenched pavement, blood gushing out of an open wound, staining the pavement a scarlet.