Elise's POV

The not so pleased old woman watched me from the corner of my station, while my lady in companion works her magic on my day gown. I always wonder why grandma had hired a governess like her who always glowers at me. But all I had to do is marry and I’ll be off of her. But that’s just the thing I couldn’t possible do, after my debut on society no one had taken me seriously, no men out there was ready to take care of a girl who is fragile and mute. My grandma promised me that she’ll find me a fine gentleman, respectable and kind, one who has a rank in the society as I do. But two years later, she’s still trying.

“Oh Milady, this gown is perfectly suited on you.” I blushed despite of myself. I have always known Maria five years before I had my debut, she had been homeless when my grandmother found her loitering around outside the villa, and for some reason, she saw something within the girl, from her green dull eyes and how she obediently scurried away when was shooed off. My grandmother knew, Maria was one of those girls who are honest and kind. Instead of turning this girl in naught, she hired her as her granddaughter’s lady in companion.

“Indeed, it does.” The governess had pushed herself away from her corner and stood in front of me, deep on her thought. Really, what are they fussing over this gown? It’s not even a proper walking gown and as if we’re expecting someone for a visit.

I watched her shook her head. “My dear, it is lovely but this isn’t the right gown, Maria. I dare say pull the pink and blue velvety gown from our Lady’s chamber and hurry back.”

Maria furrowed her brown brows, confusion itched on her face. She looked at me once and was obviously as surprised as I am, but when duty calls, she suppressed the urged to question the governess. She nodded once, “Aye madam,” and hurried to the next room, silk whishing loudly behind her.

I looked at my old governess, wanting to ask why I have to put that gown on. I remember the piece of finery being delivered with all of the others new made travelling gown, for sure we’re not about to venture away, are we?

I looked at her uncertainly, unable to say a word.

Being mute has its own downfall. They tend to overestimate you and intimidate you, pretending that whatever should be done, must be done no question asks. Well, how could I? If no one tries to understand what I wanted, I can still hear and write, didn’t I? My grandma had always said to me, “Whatever you lack my little pumpkin, your beauty and cleverness can outshine it.”

 Too bad grandma, no one else could see what you had seen on me.

“I see confusion in your eyes, Milady.”

I nodded.

“Lady D’Antonia had seen me earlier today, Milady. She wanted me to dress you up beautifully for we expect the Marchioness of Newland in an hour or so.”

I gasped, shocked. I heard from the town gossip that the Newland’ers is in town for the Lady had been ill lately. I didn’t know my grandmother was acquainted with them. But of course! Why wouldn’t my grandma not know the noble family, she was a countess herself, married to the late Earl of Wiltshire, my loving grandfather, the Earldom had been passed on to my father, but tragedy happened and both had taken my parents lives, till then the position had been vacant and my grandma took the liberty to handle things from there on.

I stared at her pleadingly, hoping for a more thorough explanation, she had been with me for a while to understand it.

“You have to forgive me Milady; all she asked me to be is to get you ready, no explanation was given.”

I chewed my lower lips and nodded in understanding. She scowled at me in return from chewing my lip, an unlady like thing to do so I stopped myself. Thank goodness Maria came rushing back, avoiding the old woman’s furrowed face I watched Maria carefully lay the pink gown on the leather couch, and started helping me out on my day gown.

I wonder if grandma wanted me to show off to the Marchioness herself, but something tells me something isn’t right about this.

----------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE:

For those who were interested in the beginning of this story, the concept was exactly done from the 1800s after the defeat of Napoleon, created from the idea of the famous novel of Gaelen Foley. Those who had read them you will see the likeness of Elise’s situation to Lady Lucy in one of his novels, but I assure you the story will not be as similar to Gaelen’s novels.

In real life, The Marchioness of Newland doesn’t exist, but Earl of Wiltshire does. In 1550 William Paulet was created Earl of Wiltshire. He was made Marquess of Winchester the next year, and his descendants continue to hold both titles.

1. Earl of Wiltshire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Wiltshire