Making New Friends Can Be Unexpected!

Lucy's thick eyelashes blink a million times at Levy. Oh God... She is so dead. That's it. Dead. She's a goner. Before she can protest, Levy is already dragging Lucy around her room, pulling at any nice skirts and maxis and tees she spots out of Lucy's wardrobe and applying makeup enough for an entire opera on her face.

In just fifteen minutes Lucy is prepared and looking splendid in a pure white dress with embroidered pink floral pattern on the bodice, slender shoulder straps and a scoop neckline. Levy places a headpiece adorned by large lilac and violet roses in Lucy's princess blonde hair, and finishes with dangling lily earrings, a daisy necklace and ballet flats woven with green stems and leaves to add to the effect.

"With all these flowers on me, I probably look like a walking garden," Lucy grimly puckers her lips, but Levy just laughs good-heartedly. She herself slips into a beautifully printed Kaftan, mini denim skirt and lollipop sandals.

"I think we better leave now... They're probably there waiting," says Levy.

Within seconds the house is empty.

~XXX~

"Hey Levy..."

Levy gazes at her childhood friend wonderingly. "Yes?"

"You... You don't think this is all very suspicious?"

The blue haired girl cocks her head in genuine puzzlement. "Suspicious, how?"

"I mean, this pair is the slyest delinquent duo in the school. You can't trust or give in to them so easily. This could be some sort of a snare they set up, to have us falling in a ditch so they can roast and gobble us up later!" (Wow, what imagery, Lucy!)

Knitting her eyebrows, Levy cannot understand what Lucy's problem is. It's just a date, right? No harm about a measly date. Then she smiles. "Know something, Lu? The other week when I was in the library, sorting through books for the librarian, I bumped into Gajeel. I thought he was going to lay a finger on me for my clumsiness, but instead he apologised for being a distraction and getting in my way."

"I couldn't say anything then," Levy continues, her glossy lips softly curving upwards and her rosy cheeks rosier than ever. "But I felt as though I can understand him better than anyone else. Outside he looks like those violent, scary types... A tough guy, and I can imagine him bashing someone's head in. But on the other hand, he truly is a caring person who loves and will do anything to protect his loved ones. What's stopping him from revealing his deep, sensitive and meaningful persona is his fear that his true colours will make him look weak. People might take him the wrong way because he looks so intimidating and a bit like a junkie, because of his hair and studs and wild look, but when he smiles - like really smiles - it is just so warm and sincere. Never ever fake."

An embarrassed Levy buries her glowing face in her hands. Lucy sighs, knowing her best friend is enamoured with Gajeel Redfox, even though they have never formally introduced themselves to each other yet.

"Hm. Well, what do you think of Natsu?" she wonders, hoping to hear some scandal about the boy who deliberately made her land on her bottom in the middle of the school hallway and humiliated her in front of everybody.

"Natsu? He's a mystery. I know he's a class clown and all that, but I'm not sure about his love life. The girls in school are infatuated with him and talk about him a lot."

Lucy blows a raspberry. "What do you think they like him for?"

"I don't know," shrugs Levy. "Maybe his looks? You got to admit, he isn't bad-looking."

"I can't see him acting all lovey-dovey and romantic. So not him."

"You know what they say, Lu: Expect the unexpected. Even if you think it won't happen in a gazillion years, there may be a chance Natsu will get his act together and develop a little maturity. Well, we're here. It's now or never, Lu."