II - TERRA

II- TERRA

ALTHEA

I looked back at the whole empire built on top of the floating mountain above the clouds. I admired the view of the thousand imperial colonies built on crests of mountain rocks connected by boulders and golden bridges. Luxurious, elegant and grandiose; this wealthy empire rules the atmospheric Order for centuries. And now, I am leaving it all behind.

"The Emperor said that this is the only way. What do you think, Drusilla?"

I spoke through a metal pipe connected to my dragon's ear. She gave me a short rumble of indifference. Her only focus is to expand her wild wings and roam the sky freely like she has never done before.

My arm device beamed and I heard a familiar voice spoke through my earpiece.

"Althea?"

It's him.

"Tabris." His face appears on the device's small screen.

"Did I just miss your ceremony this morning?"

"Oh, did you? I honestly didn't notice." I looked away, feeling my disappointment.

"You didn't? Better that way. I might have done something contemptible if I was there watching everything." He's trying to sound funny which annoyed me.

"Right."

"I'm sorry."

"Of course, you are." I looked at him and he slowly shifts into an even more sober expression.

"I swear."

"Tabris, for all we know, we may never see each other again and you didn't even come to say goodbye."

That is the plain truth. I will never know how I pulled a perfect lie with Luren about my return before my eighteenth anniversary. But right now, I need to be honest with someone I trust with my life.

"You don't know how devastating it feels to hear that from you. I swore an oath to protect you. But I was forced by the council to stay in the chamber."

Tabris is five years older than me and two years older than my deceased elder brother, who was the crown prince. We grew up together in the imperial palace along with other high-rank noblings. He is the closest male noble I have come to be friends with. A genteel and charming knight of the Frist Arm, he is the eldest son of the Imperial War General, Lord Tallon Lance. With his gallant height and very attractive smile, young female nobles find him difficult not to dream about.

"Fine. I won't hold it against you. Although, I promise to hurt you severely if I ever get back."

"I wouldn't mind as long as you come back."

There was an awkward silence before he uttered.

"I love you."

"I know." My answer was almost instantaneous.

"You don't understand. I don't love you in a younger sisterly way. But I do... really love you."

I felt my eyes widened a little and I know he can see the surprise drawn across my face.

"Was that... a confession?"

"Yes."

"Tabris, you really are the worst in timing." I shook my head in disbelief.

"Please, say something."

I gazed at him on the screen. His soft red curls perfectly frame his ruddy charm while his eyebrows furrowed a little; he bites his lower lip, unsure about what I will say. It is clear that he has failed to think this through. I felt my anger slipping away.

"Please, don't hate me."

"I don't. I love you, Tabris."

It was his turn to be surprised. His eyes glinted like they did last night when we danced, while every young female noble felt the pang of jealousy. But I didn't care. For me, we're perfect.

Then the screen started to blip.

"You're going out of range. The connection is being put down..."

"I'm sorry, Tabris."

"Don't be. We will see each other again, I swear -"

The screen turned red signifying that no more communication at this distance can be established.

I'm now totally cut off from communicating with anyone from the Empire. The device is now nothing but a map for my task.

In my bitterness, I wanted to get rid of the device. But I know I can't get to Seren without it since it's the only thing that can accurately take me where I want and should go.

Drusilla gave me a brief snarl upon noticing how lost I am in my thoughts.

"I'm fine."

I try not to think about Tabris and Aerem for a moment. Right now, I need to think of myself and my mission. The faster I could get to Seren, the better my chance to find the Source and return to Aerem.

Focus. Focus. Focus.

I could feel a warm tear trying to escape my eye out of angst and frustration. I shrugged and decided to lower our altitude in order to avoid the view of the kingdom behind me. I'm afraid that if I glance at it one more time, I might change my mind and fly my way back. But then in Aerem, that is called treason. And treason means death. I'd rather disappear or die than to be called a traitor.

We lowered our height of about 3,000 feet, bearing in mind that our height advantage will also cut the journey to Seren twice as fast.

After almost 3 periods of flight, I felt Drusilla's fatigue against the strong wind and decided to fly just above the high ground at about 2,000 feet. As we descend through the clouds, I saw the vast land of the middle kingdom.

This is the first time I left Aerem and I have never seen the Second Order- the Dominion of Terra- other than from illustrations, scrolls and geographic sketches in our devices.

The beautiful stretch of the continent covers the horizon from all direction. Green forest plagued the land while rivers and lakes surround the domain of thousands of cottages. I could spot their giant cannons and war craft vessels surrounding their communities. Platoons of warriors assemble at the center of the colony grounds for drills and skill trainings. From afar, I could see their great domain, made out of black and grey boulders with solid gold and dark soil, mightily built on the land's largest plateau. Their black and red flags are on top of every roof-points of their fortress. I can't believe it. The Dominion of Terra is built stronger and larger than our empire!

There was a great boom and a large black smoke rose from the cannons positioned on top of the left and right wings of the palace. Before I knew it, their cannon balls shoot to reach my altitude.

They are trying to hit us!

"You can't be serious!"

The clan lords must have spotted my beast. How can I be so naive? The mighties are barbaric, vicious and bloodthirsty race. Everything is like a game of kill or be killed.

"Let's go higher and faster!"

I saw lightning and thunder hovering above their great domain and huge dark clouds and skies began to cover the skies. We never experience rain from our home which nestles way above the clouds. I wonder what it is like to get poured over by sprinkling water.