Chapter One

Copyright © 2014 by ThePerpetualDreamer.

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, transmitted, stored or transmitted in any form or means without the prior and expression permission of ThePerpetualDreamer.

All characters in this book are fictitious and any resemblance to any real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. This is a work of fiction.

*

“You smile in the two way mirror of my eyes.

 I put on my faith like I wear a disguise.

 You can’t see my soul, see the life that I live.

 But I show you the mask of the best I can give”

                ~ Dawud Whansby, The Truth That Lies Inside.

Chapter One.

A lie is a powerful thing.

It has the ability to control you. Just a mere slip of the action or tongue could result in you tumbling into a tunnel of a web of lies, each one carefully overlapping the next, delicately upheld. It’s like the slightest shake could send you plummeting down, drowning within deceit.

                You see, that’s why I was expecting that I would have had a feeling at least when my secret was discovered. A feeling, something different than the edgy emotion that I constantly had. I don’t know, what had I been expecting? A warning? Some notice? I guess I thought that I would have felt something, a premonition perhaps that someone was going to discover my secret – something that I had so tightly kept over the last two years. But there were no signs of the deeply cemented foundation of my secret cracking – the day felt and seemed normal.

                I was at Ivy’s house, watching my best friend vent about her on-off boyfriend as I slowly painted my nails navy blue.

I call Ivy my best friend, and to an extent she is, but she has no idea of my other life. My real life. Ivy just knew the me from sixth form. I was the girl she adopted into her crew, the new girl who looked a little vulnerable, with her hair hesitantly scraped into a ponytail, and walking with an uneasy air. Ivy was the one who helped me settle in and we hit off straight away, chatting as if we’d known each other forever. She’s the type of girl everyone instantly liked, friendly and popular, the one with beauty and brains. God knows why, but she took me under her wing that day and because of her I was spared of those curious glances. I was accepted by default. And that was what eased my deception.

I don’t know what triggered me to do what I did that day. It’s not as if I made a conscious decision to change myself. I didn’t wake up that day with the intention to create myself anew. I just did.

“So then Tyler bloody rang me to tell me about his new girlfriend!” Ivy screeched interrupting my thoughts whilst she pulled her brown hair in exasperation as she paced the room.  The carpet was beginning to get grooves from her continuous pacing. “What the fuck does he want me to do? Beg for him back?”