Chapter 9: Secrets

The next morning, I woke up feeling cold and stiff. I looked around and then jumped up, in shock, as I noticed that Camorie and Krazynight were gone. I quickly crawled out of the tent and found them both sitting by a fire, with the others. When they saw me, they waved. 

"Morning, Nighten!" Camorie greeted.

I yawned and stretched.

"Nighten! Sit here! HERE!" Someone said, excitedly.

It was Bobo. I sat down next to him, letting the warmness of the fire embrace me. The boy who saved us was sitting across from me.

"Good morning, Miss," He said.

"Morning," I finally said," Why didn't anyone wake me up?"

"We decided that as the leader, you needed your rest. You looked like you hadn't slept for weeks," He answered, with a smile.

I swallowed the huge lump in my throat and sat silent for a moment. Bobo poked me and gave me a weird looking piece of meat on a paper plate. I frowned as I took it.

"...What...Is this?" I asked in disgust.

" It's Tulvanina," Lilly Panther said, " It's a type of fish on this island. It's not very good, but it's food."

"...Oh...," I said.

I glanced over at Bobo, who was noisily chowing down, and I tried not to barf. It smelled disgusting like rotten eggs and burnt hair.

"Ya, know...I'm not very hungry right now...," I said, quickly passing it along.

"Are you sure? It's high in protein," The boy asked.

"I'm positive," I replied, getting up," I'm gonna go for a walk. Stretch my legs for a bit."

     I walked down to a path in the trees that I had seen last night when we were flying and walked into it. I walked on for a while until I found a bench on the side of the trail. I sat down and took off my boots, which were full of dirt and sticks. I lifted them up-side-down and dumped them out, letting the dirt and sticks return to the ground that they came from, and then put my boots back on. It was silent. Not a sound except for a tiny bit of wind, rustling the leaves on the trees. I was in the mood for meditating. Relaxing my mind, to return to the spirit realm. One of my powers where to be able to relax my mind, and leave my outer body. I could go to and from a place called the Spirit realm. A place where your spirit is allowed to do anything. Create anything out of thin air. Talk to your future and past selves. The animals where called spiritual guardians. They help lead you through the land. 

     I closed my eyes and cleared my mind, and I was about to let my mind slip into the spirit realm, when I suddenly heard a twig snap. I quickly opened my eyes and looked around. Coming down the trail, was the boy who rescued us. In my mind wanted to run away, but I sat still and quietly let him come. He sat next to me. There was a space between us though. We sat silently for what seemed like forever, then he sighed.

"I can't lie...That fish was disgusting," He chuckled, "I don't blame you for running away."

"I didn't run away...And I wasn't hungry," I answered, looking away from him.

"Right...right...," He said," If you were hungry, would you eat it?"

"No," I said.

"Not even if you were starving and it was the only thing you could find?" He asked.

"Look, I'm just picky eater. I would have found some nuts or something. This isn't about food anyways. I said I wanted to go on a walk, so that's what I did," I said, annoyed.