Chapter 2

Day 1. First Day at Franklinton High.

I woke up the next day to the sun glaring through the window. I reminded myself how I needed to get blinds or a curtain unless I planned on waking up with a headache every morning. I sat up in bed and looked at the digital clock that sat on my desk across from me. It read 5:58. I groaned, climbing out of bed and walking over to the alarm clock. Just as I got to it, it started to ring with annoying shriek. I slammed my hand on it to turn it off. I walked over to my closet and grabbed a navy blue t-shirt. I was never the type to dress up on the first day of school, or on my first day at a new school in this case. A t-shirt and jeans was almost always what I wore. I finished getting ready, including brushing my teeth and hair.

I finished putting notebooks and binders into my book bag before heading downstairs. My dad never cooked breakfast, and I would only ever cook breakfast on the weekends. He usually didn't eat breakfast at all, but I would grab a granola bar. I also spent most of the time that I could spend making breakfast, packing lunch. At my old school I never ate the school lunch, and I was so used to my morning routine that I guess I just kept it up.

My dad walked down the stairs in one of his suits, a satchel hanging off of his shoulder. "Are you going to be okay getting to school if I take the car? I know we went over this, but you've never walked to school before." I smiled at him as I put my lunch in my book bag.

"Dad, I'll be fine. It's two blocks away and I'm sure eventually I'll make friends." I grab my bag and throw it over my shoulder before leaning up and kissing his cheek. "Have a good day at your first day of work! I'll see you when you get home."

It took me about ten minutes to walk to school, which was nothing compared to the fifteen minute drive it took for me to get to school back home. As I approached the school, I looked around. It was an older school, but I thought it was gorgeous. Looking at the outside of it, it reminded me of the school in 10 Things I Hate About You, but a lot smaller. I let out a soft chuckle to myself as I found myself comparing a part of my life to a movie. It was a weird idea, at least to me.

I began walking through the parking lot, and as I did, I looked around at the students. In all honesty, they seemed less clique-y than I expected them to be. Of course, I always tried to keep an open mind. There were multiple groups of kids hanging out at different cars. A mix of pop and rock music emanated from the cars. As I got closer to the doors, I noticed a larger group of students. They were standing between about three cars, leaning on them. They gave off an odd feel, but I ignored it. They didn't seem any different from the students that I had just passed. Right as I was about to look away and enter the school, a dark haired boy wearing sunglasses in the group looked at me. He was wearing sunglasses, so I wasn't sure if he looked at me or just in my general direction. I shrugged it off and entered the school.

When I entered the school, I noticed that inside resembled the outside. The lockers definitely weren't new, and while the walls and floor were clean, it was obvious that they were built a while ago. I looked around at the people walking the halls. Many of them were looking down at their phones as they walked, occasionally looking up to make sure they wouldn't run into a wall or open locker door. I spotted a girl that was leaning against the lockers and reading out of her textbook, and I walked over to her. She was generally very pretty, but it was a natural pretty. She had a dirty blonde hair with dark green eyes that looked almost brown.

"Hey, excuse me. I'm new and I was just wondering if you could point me towards the main office?" She looked up, looking slightly shocked. I don't know if it was because I interrupted her or if she didn't expect someone to talk to her. She folded the corner of her textbook and closed it before opening her locker and setting it inside.