Chapter 2: The first secret

Months passed fast, It's winter now.
I had a great time with my new friends, we've spent everyday together. But I haven't heard anything from Violet... I guess she has forgotten me.

1 December 1.00 PM: Jill and I are alone in the break. Alice and Danielle are sick.
Jill said "can you go with me to the bathroom please? I want to tell you something..."

So we walked into the bathroom and she closed the door.
Silence...
She looked in the mirror and said gently "Do you think I'm fat?"
I was shocked. Why woud she ask that question? She is thinner than a model.
I said determined "of course not!"
She looked really sad. It seemed like she had to cry.
"What's wrong?" I didn't know anything else to say. I'm not good at helping people.
She cried out "Melanie! I'm fat! I hate my body, I hate my face, I hate my life!"
I said shocked "Jill... don't think like that" and she cried for the rest of the break.

3.30 PM: Jill said "please, come with me. I want to tell you something but don't judge me."

On the way she told me about her life.
She told me her parents took 5 orphans in her home and she has one relative sister. Jill really hates the other kids because her parents never give her any attention. Her mother is really sick now and her father is always working. So Jill spent her time with her sister. Her sister is on a diet and she dragged Jill into this whole mess. She said Jill was too fat and has to go to the gym, so she did. After a while, Jill changed her eating pattern. She stopped eating breakfast and lunch, sometimes she skipped dinner too. And when she eats, she feels guilty, unhappy and really fat.

She dropped me at home.
I'm shocked.
I hate it to see Jill like this. I wish I could do anything for her, but it's her choice.

The rest of the day I was laying in bed, staring at the ceiling. I'm thinking for hours.
What if she never eat again?
She wil die...
What if her parents find out?
They will kill her... and ME because she involved me to keep her secret.
I really have to tell someone about this, but if I tell someone and Jill finds out, I'll get more problems.
I should get some rest.
Maybe I feel better tomorrow.

The next day 5.30 AM: I can't sleep anymore. I slept for 3 hours. I couldn't think about anything else.
I feel really bad for her. How can I even eat something with the thoughts she doesn't eat anything.
I feel really nauseous.
I hope Alice and Danielle are coming to school today.
I don't even know if they know Jill's secret.

8.20 AM: I saw Alice in the hallway with Jill. They were walking to me.
"Hey Melanie"
I was happy to see Alice after a horrible week. "Hi Alice, I'm glad you're back"
She smiled shy and said gently to Jill "does she know?"
Jill nodded quickly

Jill whispered to us "but I didn't tell you everything Melanie... I was afraid you were judging me."
She didn't tell me everything?
So there's more?
Can I handle this?
"Melanie!" Jill sounded frustrated.
"Do you want to tell me?"
Jill took a deep breath.
"Yeah"