Chapter 1| A Princess

Chapter 1

   The days without her brother, not counting the whispers on the hallway as to why he left and the random bouts of loneliness, were oddly very similar to the ones she led before. Which was odd considering how much time they spent together during her life.

   Of course, there was that problem of who was going to be the next heir to the kingdom considering the current king had no children nor did he ever want to get married. Some of the fingers pointed towards Kianna since she was the only royal child from their bloodlines. Most people, however, protested about her legitimacy considering she was-gasp-a girl.

   This did not concern her very much. She didn't even bother going to the council meetings because she knew that it wouldn't capture her attention that easily. Besides, she reasoned, when will that ever come on useful anyway? Its not like I'm going to become queen. The council members won't let me.

   She was so wrong.

≈≈≈≈≈≈

   The pale look on her mothers face should have warned her that something must have happened. But like an idiot she told herself that it was probably in her imagination instead of asking why.

   "Hello dear," Lady Marianna murmured, standing up to kiss the middle of her forehead.

   Inwardly, Kianna frowned. A visible sign of affection. Is mother okay? "Good afternoon mother," she said, curtseying. "The weather is beautiful outside, don't you think so?"

   "Yes," Lady Marianna said absently, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

   "I do hope that the sunny weather won't change," she purposefully emphasized the last word.

   Immediately her mother looked up, "I'm not so sure about that."

   Gulp. "Mother," she said quietly, deciding to give up and not to play Evasive Conversation for one day, "what happened?"

   Lady Marianna focused her eyes on the embroidery in her lap, "There has been a decision in the council concerning the heir."

   "And?"

   The Lady's hands shook as she sewed, "You know the answer."

   Oh no. Kianna plopped down on the divan that lay across from where her mother was sitting. "Me?" she finally said, "I'm going to be..."

   "A queen, at least until after your uncle dies," Lady Marianna looked up, trying to smile, "congratulations darling."

   Kianna blinked rapidly, trying to process this. "I-I thought that only males had to rule."

   "Yes but this time they made an exception."

   That fact made Kianna get mad. "Why? Do they think that little of me?"

   "What do you mean?" the Lady seemed a little startled by this change of mood.

   Her daughter looked up. "They want a puppet queen mother. You know that. And an easily replaceable one at that. Everyone knows that if the council decides to let someone as young as me to ascend, then they aren't planning to keep me alive for long."

   Lady Marianna nodded, seeming pleased by her comment.

   Kianna clenched her fists, "What do they need me to do?"

   Her mother stood up, putting her embroidery down where she sat. "Well,you are going to take a little trip."

   "Excuse me?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.