15. The Lying Brain

In search of Kaya, he stepped out of the office

In search of Kaya, he stepped out of the office. The music was loud and although the dance floor empty, he found her behind the bar, already serving drinks to a few zombies who'd arrived early.

For a moment, he observed how she interacted with the customers. Tonight, for some reason, she seemed fidgety and distracted. He intently watched for a few minutes, when she turned towards him. Their eyes locked, and a look of guilt plastered over her face.

He wondered why.

Marc curled his index finger, motioning for her to come closer. "Kaya, could I speak with you?"

She curtly gave him a small nod, walking over to him.

"Did you happen to see Teal before she left?"

She nodded slowly.

"How long after I was gone did she leave?"

She shrugged.

"You have no idea?"

She shook her head.

"Do you remember I asked you to go see her? Upstairs?"

Kaya nodded.

"Did you? Did you tell her what I asked you to tell her?"

"Yes!" she snapped.

"I'm making sure, Kaya." His voice was tender, but loud in her ear to get above the blaring music. "Sometimes you forget things, honey."

She forced a smile, "I saw. Then ..." She moved her hand forward as if the signal universally meant to have left.

"Okay, okay. No problem. I had to ask." He tiredly smiled at her. "I'll be back in an hour. I'll let Rocco know I'm leaving."

Keeping her smile, she acknowledged and momentarily dragged her attention back to the drinking zombies sitting on stools before her pupils followed him out.

Striding down the foggy street he felt the soft, warm wind on his face, and a stale smell in the air. The buzzing hummed in his ears. The sound of generators was common in their world, but tonight they seemed extra noisy. During his ten-minute walk, he practiced different ways to let Teal know he was sorry, without actually saying it. Life had been difficult for him. Correction, it was hard for all of them, and thank you, I'm sorry, nor please, were usually part of his vocabulary.

Disgusted, he stood facing the black door, but couldn't bring himself to knock. Marc took a cool breath and without giving it any further thought, he gave a quick thump on the weathered door.