Chapter V: They Finally meet again

Chapter 5: They finally meet again

Maria Sophia Cassandra Santiago

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I’m wearing my school uniform. I’m wearing a long-sleeved blouse uniform with navy blue ribbon matched with two inches below the knee, navy blue pleated skirt, with white socks and black shoes. No trace of Make-up could be found on my face, which is ironic since I practically grow up on states surrounded by liberated persons. My naturally straight black hair is worn down. I look almost a normal student if it wasn’t for my eyes. They were black, empty and flat which is out of my concern.

I arrived in the Philippines yesterday morning. My father and stepmother didn’t bother to pick me up and just send their driver and a maid. I was able to tell who is who since they were able to work at the house before I leaved.

I was hoping to catch a few hours of sleep that morning because my flight was 2:00 am but failed to do so because upon my arrival, I was told to go to the study room immediately.

When I was in the room, I found that my father and my stepmother was already there.  My father has a trace of anger in his face while my stepmother, Veronica is maliciously grinning at me and looks like she was searching for something in me. changes perhaps. Good thing I was wearing my shades. Finally she stopped and broke the ice.

Welcome home Cassie. We miss you so much. Look at you, you’ve grown into a beautiful young adult. It looks like you had inherited a fair amount of your mother’s beauty.

 It made my father become more irritated when Veronica mentioned mom. I figured she planned it so that  my father and I would end up fighting. She is wrong. I am not the same person person I used to be.

So mentioned Veronica when she realized she failed.

What have you been doing Cassie for the passed eight years?

Not much came my short answer

And by not much, you mean? she pressed but I didn’t answer. I just stood there with a stoic demeanour. I see that it slowly irritates her but I stood my ground.

Oh Cassie, just spill it she finally said, irritation evident on her face. I finally spoke.

I think it is not in your business to find out so

I saw surprised quickly flash across her face but was quick to re-compose herself. I guess she doesn’t expect that.

Is that what you had learned in states cassie? She said with a fake hurt on her entire face.Ouch, that was a blow cassie.. of course it is in my business to know how my daughter had been in the recent years. What did you respect? I’m your moth-

I quickly cut her

Don’t say the word mother for all I know my mother is in peace, six feet below the ground for the past 8 and a half years.

Finally she kept her mouth shut. Her face turning a shade of red. Rage is evident on her face.

How dare you spoke to her like that

My father finally spoke and is really angry. But that anger soon fades when I removed my shades and stared directly at his eyes.

Look at what you have turned me into, Father. I thought.

I just told her what I know of, father. I spoke in a cold voice while I saw his back straightened. I guess the coldness affects him like the others when I spoke using that voice.