Chapter Twenty-Eight

caution:not edited at all. hehe:3

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT:

                Demetrius was furious. Incredibly and without a doubt angry. How dare she run, how dare she take his children. He had worked for those children. Years tied down to that woman who was nothing close to compliant. He had thought at the time it’d be worth it because of the prize ensured for him.

                But now all he wanted to do was wrap his hands around her neck.

                She had taken what was his, what he needed more than anything else. The power his children had. The power to do what they pleased from a line of spell-casters and magic men and women and now, his incorrigible wife had stolen them under the cover of the night.

                Demetrius knocked back the vile potion the potions master had given him. He was well past the city borders with his most trusted Red Guards, men trained by him, men loyal to only him. Men who’d kill when he said the words. No questions asked.

                One of them rode up now, a man with a long sword and a speckled horse. “The witch said she’s taken them this way.”

                Demetrius raised a brow, “How’d you get that out of here, usually the coven is very hard to get answers from.”

                The man bared his teeth in a smile of rotten, yellowed stubs. “We got it out of her at the point of a sword. Might not want to go in, the dogs have already started their feast.”

                Demetrius laughed and nodded, “Very well.”

                “Master, you look different,” The man said, “Just now, you look different.” The man’s eyebrows scrunched in confusion. “I swear you were just my master, now you’re too young.”

                “It’s me you fool, I need a disguise. I’m the liege of most of these lands, and hated by most, I can’t be bothered to be distracted by annoying peasants when I have to find my wife.”

                The man nodded, the words not really affecting his apparent pea-sized brain.

                Another man from his guard rode to where they were a grin on his face.  “Master, we’ve found their trail.”

                Demetrius grinned; oh his wife was going to feel the edge of his blade for her interference. Demetrius kicked his horse in the ribs and was bolted forward and rode straight into the real world.

Melody was half awake against the white walls of her prison. She assumed at least that’s what this big white, never-ending hall was. Then again it wasn’t exactly like she knew why she was in there. Quietly, she found herself studying her hands. They were mostly bare, no freckles, no beauty marks, and besides a little bit of healed over cuts it was a pale creamy white.

                She wasn’t bored at least she didn’t believe she was. She was just lonely. Like there ought to be more in the white room then herself and the walls. Like something or someone was missing.

                Blinking, Melody lifted her head to survey the hall again, suddenly feeling wide awake. Her eyes swept from left to right, like suddenly there was something else in the space and she should find it, no, needed to find it.

                Pushing herself off the wall, she stood on wobbling legs. Tired from endless wandering. Touching the wall with her hand, she forced herself to become steadier. Using the walls as support. Then she saw it. Glinting like it was in the sun, reflecting off a shining piece of silver.