Chapter 5

Despite all odds, I have found so much information about Bangtan with just a bit of snooping. I've read old newspapers and read into depth on drug busts and local crimes. I've read about murders that seem almost routine and fights that seem like they were swept under the rug. Arrests of course go in hand with that but for a lot of the issues, they just report them, they never mention if they caught people or used force to get it to stop. It's almost like, a lot of the time, the police get involved in the aftermath. Is Bangtan really that elusive?

I've also managed to go to the police and get a few files from them. I say it's for school and that because of my brother's death, I am now interested in becoming an officer and want to study real files and things so I'm ahead of my fellow classmates for when I go to university. Obviously, it's a lie, but they don't know that. They were skeptical and found ways around confidentiality to give me them. Some information is audited, but I've studied patterns from them, where a lot of crimes occur, the socioeconomic status of victims and lots of other minor details. Do the police really not see some of the connections or is it just too complicated to find Bangtan that they've given up?

I've even managed to trace a few places where I think they might hide out! And that's what I'm looking into today. I've told Eomma and Appa that I'm staying after school with a few friends who are being really supportive of Dasan's suicide and the cause. Of course, there are friends of mine that do care, but I'm not talking to them about it. Some people shame me because he got involved in drugs and gangs but I don't care. When I turn in Kim Namjoon, dead or alive, it won't matter.

I leave the building and go towards an older area of the city. I actually take the bus, because it's too far to walk. I feel a bit unsafe in the area, but if I'm not up to anything, who's going to hurt me? I mean, the always worrying issue of being attacked by some pervert is lingering, but for some reason I feel like they won't do anything. This is gang territory, probably.

I walk up and down a few streets, trying to look for markings on the buildings or signs or signals that are out of the ordinary. I look for code words that are similar to Bangtan or something that resembles a bulletproof vest or gun or something. Nothing. It's a bit discouraging but I still feel like I'm in the right place. I look around, even up to the top of buildings, thinking there might be a satellite or marking on the top of the buildings. They aren't really tall but the place is almost desolate and seems like there's still people all over.

I sigh and go to the next place, but I deduce that it isn't the place. There might be "clients" of Bangtan here, but it isn't where their "HQ" is. I go to the next place, the only other location on my possible places list and I can for sure say the first place I visited is the correct place. I plan to go back tomorrow and search a bit harder, now that I've narrowed it down.