One Hell of a Day

Brooke's POV:
I didn't forget my promise.
These words were like a broken record in my head. Repeating constantly. I've been laying here, staring at the dull grey prison wall, lost in my thoughts. I didn't even notice Rosita in the doorway. "Hey. Um.. We need to talk." She said glumly. "What is it?" I sat up almost instantly. "Eugene's better now, and with this dream your having.. We have to go to Washington. Now." I couldn't believe the words coming out of her mouth. "No. I don't want to go. They need me. They're my family." I shook my head. This can't be happening. I can't leave these people. I can't leave Daryl, Carol. Or Rick, Michonne, Maggie and Glenn, Lizzie and Mika, Sasha and Tyresse, Beth or even.. Carl. "I'm not forcing you to go. It's your choice. I just hope you make the right one." I knew she wanted me to go with her, but I can't. "I'm staying. They need me. I need them." I whispered the last part. "I'm sorry Rose. You can do this. Now go and save the world." And with that I gave her the biggest, most tightest hug in the world.

We were all out by the main entrance saying our goodbyes. "You're one tough kid. Ya know that? Take care." Abraham ruffled my hair. "I will. Keep Rosita safe." I hugged him. "Brooke, I want you to know that it's not your fault about my hand. I'd do anything to keep the people I care about alive. Even if it means risking my life. And that is why I am going to Washington." Eugene smiled. The first smile I've seen since I met him. Suddenly, his smile turned into a frown. He leaned in close to my ear. "If anything happens to me, I want you to know what caused this. Are you ready?" He asked. I reluctantly nodded my head. And with that he began..

I watched as their truck drove off in the distance, leaving me standing here surprised. What Eugene told me was a lot to take in. "She'll come back." Daryl said placing a hand on my shoulder. "And how are you so sure?" I asked. "Because I have hope that this Eugene guy knows what he's talking about. I'm tired of fighting for my life. I'm just so tired.." He trailed off. "You have me. Don't forget that. I love you dad-" I quickly slapped my hand over my mouth. Everyone's eyes on me. "I-I'm sorry-" He cut me off my engulfing me in a hug. "I love you too." He stuttered over his words. Everyone seemed a bit taken back by Daryl's actions. Even Daryl. "Come on. It's time for lunch." Carol broke the silence.

We all sat around the table, quietly eating our soup. I wonder how Ro-

My eyes squeezed shut and my head throbbed with pain. Everything was dark and, all I could see was a faint light in the distance. It slowly grew bigger and bigger. I could hear voices around me. It sounded like Daryl's mostly. Telling me to snap out of it. It was like I had no control of my body. "Sissy?" A small fragile voice said, and I knew exactly who it was. "Carter? I-Is that you baby boy." I sobbed. "Yes sissy. Mommy said to tell you hi." His little voice was music to my ears. "You're gonna win sissy." He smiled. "Win w-what?" I choked. "Life. You're gonna win life." His words slowly faded away. I reached out to grab him, but he just.. slipped through my fingers. Like that day in the woods..

"Brooke!" My eyes shot open. I was in the embrace of Daryl's strong arms. We were sitting on the floor of the cafeteria, everyone gathered around. "What happen?" Rick asked. "I saw.." I sobbed. Hard. "Who? Who'd you see?" Carol's voice echoed. "Carter.." I felt my eyes roll to the back of my head. Once again blackness took over and I was out. Like a light.

I woke up to the sound of footsteps entering my cell. Assuming it was Daryl, I sat up and smiled. Only it wasn't Daryl. It was Carl. "May I help you?" I spat. "What the hell happen back there?" He asked rather calm. "It's nothing you should be concerned about." I looked down. I felt the end of my bed sink in, and my head instantly shot up. "I know you're mad at me. I know that, but that doesn't mean I can't be your friend." He pleaded. "I can't just be friends with you. That's too hard." I felt new tears forming. "Why? Why is that so hard?" His voice was slightly raising. "Because.. Because.." I stuttered. "Because what?!" He slightly yelled. "Because I can't help myself around you! The way you look at me, the way you say my name! It's just to much! I can't help myself from falling head over heals for you! For wanting you! I can't put myself in that situation again, Carl." I bursted out as if I were a firecracker. All I saw was hurt in his eyes. "Tonight I realized that you weren't the one who wrecked me, ruined me, or destroyed me. It was me because I only have the power to do that. To myself. I destroyed myself by loving you." One single year traveled from my tired eyes down my raw cheeks. "Please leave." I whispered. He slowly nodded his head and exited my cell. I eventually let out a breath I didn't even realize I was holding in. This was one hell of a day.