Chapter 2

I pulled over my hood when the rain fell down once more. I quickly hid my camera underneath my shirt and dashed to the nearest shelter. Usually, that would've been my cue to go back home, but not tonight. I made a mental note I would find, today, something worth taking a picture. Something my aunt and uncle would put on Murdoch news front page.

I counted backwards from five to one and ran into a passageway between two city buildings. I slowed down my pace a little. If I couldn't find anything interesting by taking a walk in the streets, I should, by wandering in dark alleys. My eyes scrutinized my surroundings. Cold and uninviting were the first words that crossed my mind. I picked up the scent of stale urine mixed with the smell of wet dust. I scrunch my nose in disgust.

I felt like I was in a movie. It was past ten. It was raining and I'm a lonely girl taking a stroll in a creepy alley in New York city. Any minutes now and I should come across a murder scene. I would jump in hiding behind a pile of garbage and though afraid, I'd take out my camera and hastily take a picture. Obviously, the camera's flash would have revealed my location to the bad guy. Then, I'll promise him my silence and beg for my life, but he will only smile in response. Before I know it, I'll be thrown on the ground, raped and killed. The end.

I let out a chuckle at my wild imagination as I grabbed my camera, ready as ever to take a picture.

''You are so funny!'' I said.

''Well, thank you, my friend''.

''You are welcome!''

...And that's when I realized I've been talking alone. Worse, I even gave myself a compliment. Man, I really need to find something soon and take a picture of it so I can go home and sleep. Yes, I definitely need to sleep.

I kept walking forward until I reached the other side of the alley. Well, if I really was shooting a movie right now, it would definitely win an Oscar for ''Worst suspense movie ever''. I met nothing but empty beer bottles and trash. Can my life be more boring? And here I was scared at first. Being Murdoch news photographer is so hard. At least, if I look on the bright side, it finally stopped raining.

''Going back home, I guess, '' I muttered, looking down at my watch. It was eleven o' clock. I grabbed my backpack and opened it to put my camera back to safety.

''Stupid mutt!'' A croaky voice cut in the air, followed by a barely audible moan. I turned around at the voice's source, my eyes landing on two tall shadows in the alley. I couldn't see properly, but from where I stood, it seemed like they were trailing after something on the ground and whatever was that thing, it was crawling away from the two men. I bent my knees a little and walked closer to the scene until I found a good hiding spot behind a pile of garbage. Movie much?

''Just finish it already!'' the other man said to his companion. My eyes widened and my breathing quickened. Maybe my life was not boring after all...Stupid Emma! I scolded myself. This wasn't the time for such selfish thinking!

'' I will, don't worry. I just want to scare it a little bit more.'' He laughed and his friend joined him. The victim on the ground whimpered in fear.

A violent kick sent him flying a couple of feet. He was now closer to my location. My breath caught in my chest. I saw blood coming out of his jaw and pouring down from a severe wound on one of his legs. The tip of its tail was cut off while his right ear bore a hole in it. Its black and brown fur were messy from the harsh treatment he received.

''Oh my god'' I whispered before clamping my mouth shut with my hands. Thank god, they didn't hear me.

The little victim barked at his enemies, trying his best to look intimidating, but to no avail. The criminals only mocked in response. I tightened my fist in anger. I had to help him. I had to do something. Should I call the police? I almost smacked myself on the forehead. I didn't even have a cellphone. Useless teenager.