Chapter 4

Working in a local coffee shop on a Saturday is always a nightmare. It is way too noisy; blatant. The number of clients is ridiculous you would think a whole bus stopped by. I've been running none stop since six in the morning, and after precisely six hours of working, I couldn't feel my legs anymore. They were numb. I get it, the weather's great, still, that's no reason to invade a small shop.

''It's crazy, they just keep coming in,'' Bri whispered as she walked past me to the kitchen, holding at least ten empty cup of coffee and dirty plates.

''Tell me about it,'' I hissed before putting on my happy mask and taking a client's order. Twenty more minutes and I can leave this hell. Am I going to survive this long?

''Is drinking coffee, without spilling it over the table, too much to ask?!'' I yelled, pulling a linen out of my uniform's pocket. I ignored the clients shocking look and started cleaning the mess.

''Please excuse her, she's in her time of the month,'' I heard my friend trying to cover me up. Does she have a death wish? I wasn't even on my period.

''Bri! You-'' She clamped her hand over my mouth, her index in front of her lips.

''-Emma, you're making a scene and scaring the clients, so let's go along with my excuse.'' I looked behind her at the clients. I took her hand away and gave the customers, the most beautiful smile I could afford at this moment, which was far from being pretty. At least, I was trying. Bridgett sighed besides me, resuming her work.

''Hey,'' I felt a hand on my shoulder and I quickly spun on my heels, facing whoever's stupid enough to sneak behind me while I was in my Hulk's form.

''What?!'' I snarled. Sky blue and confused eyes blinked at me. '' Oh! Zack! What are you doing here?'' I was already feeling my anger slowly melting away.

''Hey Zack! What's up? By the way, she's in her time of the month, so be careful!'' Bri winked, making her way to us.

''For the love of God, I'm not on my period!'' Silence immediately took over the shop. Oups. Bri smacked her forehead while the whole room erupted in laughter.

''Are you sure?'' Zack chuckled, joining the other clients. I felt my cheeks heating up. Why, why me?

''Alright, alright, let's leave her alone,'' Bri added, still grinning. ''So, Zack, what brings you here?''

''Oh I just came back from meeting a record producer and I have some good news to share,'' his lips curled into an easy smile, his eyes shining in excitement. No way...

'' You signed the contract! You are going to Hollywood! Congratulations!'' I snaked my arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. '' I'm so happy for you!''

''Thanks! '' He returned the embrace, twice as hard as I did. He finally let go and hugged Bri next.

''That's amazing! Best of luck!'' Bri smiled. We both saw him practice over and over again in his room and in his basement. We were really proud of what our friend accomplished.

''Hey! What are you two girls doing? Your shift's over! Now shoo! You are blocking the way,'' a short and angry looking bald man with a moustache, aka my boss, came out of the kitchen. Wait, did he say work's over? I glanced at the clock and couldn't be happier to see the needle pointing at the number two.

''Awesome! Let's go celebrate over a sundae!'' Bri announced, dragging me with her in the employee's room to get changed. '' Be right back, Zack!''

* * * * *

Nothing beats savoring a good ice cream sundae after an intense day at work. Blazing sun, good temperature, slightly windy and of course, perfect company. We don't often come across nice days like this one, in September.