Abigail Grace (part 1)

"Amelia are you...are you pregnant?"

"I might be." I look at him to see his reaction. "I think I might be."

He looks up, smiling in disbelief, then back at me. "I was gonna wait, until I knew for sure, but I don't know. I wanted you to know, too, so do you wanna find out?" And with that, his lips are on mine.

We have been trying for a few months now, but I think are finally pregnant. Though I'm nervous to have another after my son, I very much want to be a mom again. More importantly though, Owen very much wants to be a father, and I am determined to give him his dream.

He's grinning from ear to ear as we pull apart. Of course I want to find out! Do you want me to go in with you, or stay out here? You know, while you do your thing." I tell him it'd be better if he stays in the hall, and I come out right when I'm finished, and he does just that.

As I take the test, I hear Owen telling me all about his amazing day with Harriet. Just by the way he talks about and to kids that aren't his own proves that he is destined to have a family.

"Hey how'd it go?" I am bombarded the second I open the door by the ecstatic ginger I call my husband.

"Uhm, good."

"What's it say?" He questions.

"It takes a minute," I say and he asks if I want to sit. Well, more like a statement than a question. As he leads me to the couch, he begins to plan our child's sleeping arrangements as if we don't have 9 months.

"...we don't need a study."

I gasp, sighing in slight relief. I must have startled Owen, because he is at my side almost immediately, concern evident on his face.

Negative. My husband's face falls with disappointment, and I instantly feel terrible. This is all he wants, all he wants, and the universe just won't give it to him.

"Oh," he bites his lip sadly, "That's okay. That's um... We just started," he looks at me, "we'll keep trying."

He wraps an arm around me, pulling me into his embrace, and kisses mt head softly, rocking us.  We'll keep trying.

••••••••••

A week later

"Hey Mer, where are the sticks?" She looks at me, confused for a moment, before jumping to realization.

"Why? Oh my gosh! Are you pregnant?" She yells. I shush her and tell her that I'm not sure, that's why I need a stick.

"Okay okay. Go in the supply closet and they are on the 4th shelf on your right." She points to a brown door across the hall and winks.
••••••••
That night...

"I'm home!" I hear my husband call from the entrance of our house. "Amelia?"

"In our room!" I yell back, eagerly. His footsteps come up the stairs and I'm now growing more nervous by the second. He opens the door, closes it, and sees me behind in, jumping a little.

"Dude! What the heck!" He yells with a laugh. I chuckle and point to a small package on our bed.

"Open that." His eyes follow my finger to the package and he begins to open it. His eyes widen almost immediately, though he hasn't completely unwrapped it.

"No way. No way, I don't believe you." He walks toward me with a huge grin.

"Go open it! Go!" I push him away, smiling.

He retreats to the gift, picking up the small onesie from the box. He says, disbelief and happiness in his voice, "Oh, my god." He drops it and hops up and down a few times like a child who's mom just told her they were going to the toy store.

"You're pregnant! You're pregnant, yeah?" He walks back to me with this hands on his head, grinning from ear to ear.

"Yeah, I am. You're going to be a dad Owen!" His eyes tear up and he wraps me in a bear hug. I embrace him tightly, my arms around his neck, as he lifts me off the ground. We sway side to side before he puts me down.

"When did you find out?" He asks.

"About three days ago. I knew the test was negative, but I just had a feeling, so I took another test." I walk to my bureau, pulling out a white stick. I sit by him on our bed and hold it up to him and his excitement grows.

"Oh my god, Mia. I can't believe this!" He attacks me once again with an embrace, this one more gentle than the last, and presses his lips to my head, letting them linger there. I hear him whisper in my ear."Thank you so much."

I wrap him tighter once before pulling away. "Why are you thanking me?" I look into his eyes and see his are smiling.

"Because. Ever since I met you, my life has been nothing but amazing. You love me unconditionally, you are supportive of everything I do, and you put my needs before your own. Most importantly though, you've made me a father! I can't thank you enough." I don't realize I am crying until he wipes my tears away, smiling. "I love you so much, Mia."

"I love you to, Owen." I kiss him. "So much."

•••••

should i continue making these oneshots?