Chapter 1: The Audition

“Oh my gosh! Those One Direction boys are sexy! They are killing my ovaries!” one of the girls told her friend as they passed by me one morning. She was wearing a white T-shirt with “I ♥ 1D” and a gray cardigan over it. She matched it with tattered jeans and red sneakers. Her friend, on the other hand, was more girly. She was wearing a white floral dress topped with a blue vest. She matched it with brown heels. They were holding a magazine that features One Direction. Judging by their looks, I’m guessing they are sixteen or seventeen years old. I just released a big sigh as a sign of being uncomfortable. Not that I am not a fan, but I don’t like them as much as I do before. I was making my way to an audition as I heard another group of young girls talking about One Direction. I heard them saying how sexy Zayn’s smile was, or how Niall’s laugh makes them taste heaven when they hear it. “Feels like I never left home”, I told myself as I put on my earphones and listened to Taylor Swift’s ‘Mean’.

            Good day, my name’s Cassidy Moore. I’m twenty years old. I started singing when I was four years old. I came from a family from London who loves to sing. My parents own a small restaurant downtown London, and I have an older brother who sings for the costumers in the restaurant. Singing had really been my passion so after studying, I left home to make my dreams come true. – I rehearsed these group of sentences as I walked down the block to a music producer I was about to meet. I have this job in a club where I heard music producers look for their next talent. I had my gig that night when “Mr. Smith”, as what they call him, came to watch. After singing on stage, I had a chance to meet him and he said he liked my performance. He gave me his calling card and wished to see me some time for an audition.

            The studio was just around the corner. I was looking at the names of the establishments I passed through, wondering if I could own something like that when time comes. All of a sudden, someone hit me and I fell to the ground. “I’m so sorry”, he said as he grabbed my hand. Great, another Brit related person. If I only knew this would happen, I really shouldn’t have left London. I reached for his hand and said “its okay, I…” I stopped when I looked up. He smiled, and I can’t help but stare at his deep dimples buried on his cheeks. “I wasn’t looking at my way. I’m really sorry babe”, he continued. Seems like I suddenly woke up from a long sleep and I wasn’t able to speak, nothing came out when I opened my mouth. He continued to stare at me and I felt my cheeks were becoming hot. He let go of my hand and said “I’m Harry, by the way”. “Uhm, I’m… Cass”, I simply said, struggling at every word. “Nice to meet you Cass. But listen, I’d love to stay and chat, unfortunately, I’ve got work”, he said like he’s in a big rush. “Y-yeah, I need to go somewhere too”, I simply said. “So, see you around?” Harry said as he again, flashed his smile that makes me blush every time. “Y-yeah, sure”, I said then I smiled. Then he bid farewell.

I stood there for quite some time. I wasn’t able to grasp everything that happened for the past few minutes. And then I heard thunder not far from where I’m standing. It brought me back to my senses and I realized I still have an audition to go to. I looked at my watch and I knew that I only have a few minutes until the scheduled time. I ran to the studio and saw that Mr. Smith just arrived a few seconds ago with a couple of people his age. I’m guessing they’re also music producers from Mr. Smith’s company.

He smiled at me and said, “So, Ms. Moore, so glad of you to come. This is Kevin Schneider, Frank Davids, and Charles Johnson”. I approached them one by one to shake their hands for formality’s sake. “I have a few questions for you before you go and sing for us. But first, tell me something about yourself.” I said everything I rehearsed earlier and Mr. Smith and his colleagues nodded. “Why did you choose to pursue music here and not in London?”, Mr. Davids asked. “Well, I believe I would go farther when I start here than in London. I tried a couple of times back home but all they said they’ll talk about it and they’ll call me afterwards. But they never did. I felt that pursuing music in London is not the right thing for me”, I said without pausing. “Why not join contests instead? Like The X-Factor, for example?”, Mr. Schneider followed. “I did, as a matter of fact. I joined with my best friend, but I wasn’t able to make it to the final screening”, I simply answered. “Very well then, that’s it for now”, Mr. Johnson said. And then he signaled to go to the recording room so I could start singing. I followed the man who wore a black shirt who led me to the recording room. I wore the headphones, released a big sigh and I started to sing “When You’re Gone” by Avril Lavigne.

“…the words I need to hear to always get me through the day, and make it okay, I miss you.” As I finished the song, I looked at Mr. Smith and his colleagues. I believe they liked it. I really hope they like it. I saw Mr. Schneider smile and wrote down something. Someone came in the room and all of them stood up and welcomed the person. I wondered who it was then he came into the view. My jaw dropped when I stared at him as he moved toward them one by one to shake their hands. For the moment, I felt like my feet are glued to where I am standing. He smiled again. Gosh! I can’t deny I wasn’t mesmerized with his smile and his deep dimples on both sides of his cheeks. All of a sudden, he looked at me and waved.