The Start of Something New, Chapter 7 (Jughead x Reader)

In which it is, literally, one of the most important nights of their young lives

Listen To: "Perfect", Ed Sheeran; "Flightless Bird, American Mouth", Iron & Wine

The week following Jughead's "promposal" proved to demonstrate how big of a deal prom really was. Betty and Veronica insisted (Y/N) join them and Cheryl ("Fine, she can come...") shopping for dresses, shoes, and accessories: a venture that took two days in total. While her feet ached from the walking, she secretly loved spending time with the three beautiful girls. She felt like she was a normal, popular girl, on a shopping trip with her cheerleader friends.

Being three of the most notable daughters in the town, they chose the most expensive boutique in town to look for dresses.

"Betty," (Y/N) whispered. "I'm so sorry, but I can't afford any of this."

"Oh, how annoying," Cheryl remarked, eyes not leaving the racks of silk. "Just choose what you want and I'll pay." She turned to (Y/N), glaring. "I will not be seen anywhere within a ten mile radius of a JC Penney's. I'd rather die." She sighed dramatically and disappeared within the racks.

"Cheryl!" (Y/N) squeaked. "I don't want your money..."

Cheryl shrugged, having heard this protest many times before. "Consider it a loan." She smiled, surprisingly warmly. "Pay me back when you're close to, but not nearly as rich and successful as moi, which will be soon no doubt!"

Jughead wasn't having any better luck. Archie had explained to him that since prom was formal and not semiformal, tuxedos were required for the event. He barely even had enough money for a ticket, so Jughead paid a visit to his father at the prison for advice.

"There's a garment bag in the closet of the trailer," FP said through the phone connecting the two. "My old tux is in there, and we should be a similar fit. Take it to Lucy on the Southside for an alteration. She knows me and should do it for free."

"You have a tux?" Jughead quirked an eyebrow.

"I did marry your mom at one point, Jug," FP noted. "And a wedding, like a prom, requires a tux." Jughead's father smiled. "I'm proud of you son, seeing you grow up like this."

Jughead briskly nodded and stood to leave.

"And son?" FP called. "Don't forget the corsage."

By the end of their long lists of preparations, Jughead and (Y/N) couldn't wait for prom night, aching to just be with one another and forget the world.

Jughead showed up at the doorstep of the small house on Pendleton with the yellow paint, sporting his newly altered tux, a plastic box housing a very expensive flower, and no beanie. Archie, Betty, and Veronica waited outside in Archie's idling truck. At a loss for a car, Jughead conceded that they could ride to Pop's and the venue together–"But we are staying strictly separate"–Jughead insisted.