THA Review - Feather and Crow

[The structure of this review will be different to others because this review was written for TheHeavenlyAwards contest]

Title: Feather and Crow

Author: OctaviaLocke

Genre: Fantasy

Number of Chapters: 1

REVIEW:

Chapter 1: In Which the Odd Duck Lands

First impression: I love, love, love the cover! Talk about eyecatching!

Something about your writing style sort of reminds me of J.K Rowling's. I don't know why, but when I started reading the first few lines, I felt as if I was reading "The Philosopher's Stone" all over again. Was this intentional or not? Either way, it worked amazingly well, and I found myself engrossed in the story of Peneloper Auttsley of 1809 Melbourne Way and Crispen Heavensley immediately. 

You do a good job of painting vivid pictures of the setting and of the characters. The fact that Peneloper already has such a distinct voice is great, since it will hopefully help the character develop much more easily later on. However, I felt as if you spent a little too much time describing what Crispen looked like. By the third paragraph I was already getting a little bit bored. Do the readers really need to know he smells like autumn? If they do, try condensing your descriptions into one paragraph together. It just gets a little bit tedious. 

Since this is the first chapter, the plot hasn't really taken off yet, but your characterization is great!

I didn't spot any technical errors in this chapter, so good on you!

Overall, "In Which the Odd Duck Lands" is a strong opening chapter to 'Feather to Crow'. Good job!