• p r o l o g u e •

"Thanks for taking me in." I stepped through his front door, following him inside.

"You don't need to thank me, Jace." His voice was gruff but gentle at the same time.

"Well thank you, anyway." I pressed.

He breathed hard out through his nose. "You're welcome."

I looked at my new home.

Tanner was a weathly person so it's not like he lived in a bad place, it just felt almost foreign to me. The last time I'd been here, I was 13, pestering my brother to let me tag along while he slept over. I didn't think the next time I'd be here I'd be moving in.

"Can I go to sleep for a little while?" I faced him.

"You know you don't have to ask me," He raised a brow and I gave him a half shrug, my face feeling hot. He grabbed the remaining of my duffel bags. "Do you remember where the spare bedroom was?" But still, I followed him to my room. "I'll try to have dinner done around seven, so I'll come wake you up then." I thanked him and he shut the door behind himself.

I didn't bother putting my stuff away. Not right now at least. Instead I just tossed them in a pile on the floor and curled up on my bed; while falling asleep proved harder than I thought.
         ♡
My stomach growling woke me up, instantly being hit with a delicious smell. Tanner popped into my room just seconds later. "Dinners done."

I climbed out of bed and followed him to the kitchen. The table was set with two plates, two cups, and silverware. A steaming helping of chicken stir fry was mounted on the plates and milk so cold that the cup was sweating was poured in the glass that I guessed was mine, while what I could only assume was wine was in his.

"It looks good, thank you." I sat as he did.

"Jace, you really don't have to thank me." He reminded me.

We ate in awkward silence but the food was so good. As soon as I took a forkful in my mouth, I nearly moaned out loud - I caught myself before I did it, but talk about making things awkward. I knew Tanner could cook but I didn't realize he was that good.

"Sounds like you were hungry." He chuckled.

I just shrugged but kept eating.

"I'll load the dishwasher." I said, after dinner.

Tanner dismissed the idea with a wave of his hand. "No, I've got it. Go ahead and go set your room up or something."

"I'm not a kid, Tanner. I can help out."

"I never said you were a child, Jace." He collected the plates. "However you're in pain and that's easy to see. I've got the dishes so go on and rest up or something."

I sighed hard, letting him know I was frustrated, but reluctantly went back to my room. I took the time to change my bedspread and then went through my bags, hanging up my clothes. And then I just...sat there.

The door opened and Tanner came in. "Hey."

"Hey." I said.

"Can I come in?"

"You already are, aren't you?"

He chuckled and sat on the edge of the bed, next to me. "Talk to me if things get too overwhelming, alright?"

"Now you sound like my therapist."

"Jace." He said sternly.

"I'm sorry." I sat up and hugged my knees.

"C'mere." He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, like Jesse used to. I wondered if they did that with each other. I looked up at him. "I'm gonna take care of you, Jace. I promise." I chewed my lip and buried my face in his chest; letting everything out. He pushed his hand through my hair, soothing me but held me tighter to him. "I'll take care of you," He repeated. "I promise."