• t w o •

Tanner was a busy person. Leaving for work around 11 in the morning and returning anywhere from 7 in the evening to 11 at night, depending on what projects he was doing.

Today, though, he returned home around 3. Surprising me when he came in the door as I was sat on the couch, the first time I'd really left my room except to have meals with him.

"How was your day?" I asked politely, retreating to one corner of the couch.

"Long and boring." He replied, sitting on the opposite end. "And yours?"

I shrugged. "I've been cooped up inside."

"You have, haven't you..." He sat up and blushed. "We can uh...let's go do stuff." He quickly added.

"Like?"

"I don't know," He shrugged. "We'll wing it."

He made me change out of my pajamas and I got a fast shower, throwing on something at random from the dresser and made sure it at least went together before I left the room. I went out to the living room to see that Tanner had also showered, his curly blonde ringlets were still damp, and he had changed as well; instead of his suit and tie, he was wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt with a pair of sneakers.

"You look...nice." He looked my clothes over - that only made me look at them once more. A pair of khaki shorts and a black shirt, also paired with sneakers

"Thanks," I felt the blush warming my face. "So do you."

"Are you gonna be okay?" His strong hand lightly clasped around my upper arm.

"Y–yeah."

"You're sure?"

I nodded.

"If you're not, we can come home just like that." He snapped his fingers for emphasis.

I rolled my eyes. "Can we just go?" I realized how harsh that sounded, and I immediately felt bad. He was just trying to make sure I was comfortable.

But he made it seem as if it hadn't even phased him. Maybe it hadn't. Tanner opened the door. "After you."

I stepped into the hallway and went down to Tanner's jeep in the parking garage, just a few spaces down he also had an Audi parked. It was still just as dark and creepy as last week, but I tried not to think about it, knowing he was right behind me. He unlocked it and we got inside.

"So what do you have in mind?"

"Well, the St. Mary's fair started today," We were now out of the parking garage. "Do you want to go to that?"

Jesse had promised to take me to the fair; we had only started going a couple years back, but it was the most fun I'd ever had with my brother. I hesitated before saying, "Yes."

I felt so guilty that I came to my brother's and I's special place without him. We arrived and Tanner paid our way inside. There was games, rides, food and lots of people. It made me anxious.

"Where do you wanna start?" Tanner asked as I was already making my way to a game of ring toss. "I'll take that as your answer..." I heard him say as he started over towards me.