Epilogue

The next morning, Avery sat up suddenly, startled out of sleep. Horrified, she closed her eyes and hoped what she had just realized in her dreams wasn’t true. Opening her eyes, she raced downstairs where she found Cetra, looking much revived from her previous appearance in the dungeon. Her faithful Jemen-bird sat perched on her shoulder and it chirped happily when it spotted Avery. Ignoring the Jemen, Avery quickly explained what she had realized. Eyes widening, Cetra quickly rushed off to gather everyone else. Ten minutes later, all five were sitting around Cetra’s room.

            “What’s wrong now?” Oron glared at Avery, who sat perched on the windowsill.

            Eyes troubled, Avery answered. “See, I had this dream where I was on top of the castle. It was day and night at the same time and I was controlling the sun, moons, stars, clouds, everything. M’ena was mine to command.”

            “So you had a stupid dream,” Saela interrupted, rolling her eyes. “Who cares?”

            “Quiet,” Cetra snapped. “Let her finish.”

            With a nod toward her mother, Avery continued, “Well, when I woke up, I realized that maybe it wasn’t just a random dream.”

            Saela’s snort of derision was quickly silenced by four cold glares.

            “The reflection charm…” Ashton said slowly. “If it reflected Torben’s magic, then did you absorb all of it instead?”

            Oron sprung up from where he sat, pondering what she had said. “You inherited all of Torben’s power?” His eyes widened and he looked at her in horror. “Dasa, is this true?”

            “I don’t know!” Avery protested. “I haven’t tried anything!”

            Practically jumping up and down with excitement, Ashton flailed his arms at her. “Check! Try and go invisible or something!”

            Cetra nodded. “Go ahead.”

            Closing her eyes, Avery stopped time, trying to give herself more time to think. What if I do have all his power? she asked herself in despair. What would they do to me? Would any of them really trust me again, with that much power? In the few seconds she had left, Avery attempted to make herself invisible. Slowly opening her eyes, she held a hand in front of her face and looked at it. At least, she thought she was looking at it. Heart sinking, she tried to look down at herself and saw nothing. All her hope vanished, even as she reappeared. As time flowed again, she took a deep breath. I will never use any magic but the one I was born with, she promised herself.

            Pretending to concentrate, Avery shut her eyes tightly and shrugged. “Am I invisible?” she asked flatly.

            “No,” Saela reported, relief evident in her voice.

            Opening her eyes, Avery looked at the others. All looked relieved, except for two. Ashton looked slightly disappointed, and there was a hint of suspicion in Oron’s eyes.

            “Then why were you the only one who was able to command Torben’s soldiers?” Oron asked, narrowing his eyes.

            “Are you saying you don’t trust my daughter?” Cetra asked angrily.

            “Cetra, it’s just that-“

            “Who cares why they obey Avery!” Cetra retorted. “Maybe it’s that charm Ashton gave her. It doesn’t matter. Now on the next reason I called you all here. We need to decide where to go next. I don’t want to stay here a moment longer than necessary, so I was thinking we could just keep Torben and his army here instead. After all, I don’t think M’ena would accept them very well. I don’t have the heart to kill them.”