Chapter 6

6) The Modern Techniques will Help

Led to the audience room, Gerald heard a great deal of noise from it. There were guards at the doors, which they opened. He told his sergeant that the word should spread about altering the guards uniforms. A room filled with more than thirty constables was revealed. 

Seeing that Gerald came into the room these men stood straight and stiff to attention instantly. Some were former army officers, for many found that when they had wives and children, the transition to being a constable was the best way to proceed with a career.

That sign of respect he had not had from many others that day. At first, back in Splatz, it was clear that everyone was overcome with surprise about the events. Then when the Cavalry arrived, Major Krabe had not brought such deference with his command. Krabe was still back with the Prince’s ministers scheduling the meetings for the following day. Gerald looked and saw a clock. It was past midnight. The meetings for later this day.

This was another audience chamber of the palace. The middle sized one he presumed since he had been in the great one for ceremonies before. Red velvet wall coverings with three representations of the royal arms about the room. At one end, there was a canopy. Which he would have thought strange but the main audience chamber had one as well. Under which a dais of three steps, though the top step ringed a very wide platform. A throne was on the very top, and a second chair, much more plain was on the step below. Clearly meant for him as Crown Prince. He had seen Reginald sit in a similar chair in the main audience chamber as well.

“You may rest gentlemen,” Gerald waved his arm. Then he motioned for Lord Hermes, “What kind of money do you have for your ministry lying about? More than ten thousand, twenty?” he asked quietly.

Lord Hermes looked thoughtful for a second and then started, “I am sorry, money, sire?”

“I hope you are not being coy, or anything like that, my lord. What kind of funds to you have in the banks to run your ministry and to pay for special projects. Do you know? You know we give children little banks of clay that they may break and then go buy a candy on their birthday. We farmers always have money in the bank, but we also have money we hide for an emergency. And there are a lot of emergencies on the farm. I have mine in an old tea pot that was my mothers. I must remind someone to fetch that, or hope they pack it when they send my things to me. Now, your ministry, what monies do you have?”

Hermes nodded, “Sorry highness. I did not expect such a question. Much more than you said. More than a hundred thousand, I am sure. We are a big Principality you understand. Perhaps Minister Henry Louis will be able to tell you better about money.” Henry Louis Ramm was a cousin and the Minister of the Treasury. He was also the youngest of all the ministers of the crown.

“I shall ask him tomorrow, but more than a hundred thousand, that is good.” Gerald then turned to the men in front of him. “Hello. We need the help now of your best men. And your smartest men. Do any of you read these stories of the english about this Sherlock Holmes? I have not talked to many Constables before about your jobs and duties but how many men like this, who solve crimes that are like riddles do you have?” The men were shaking their heads. Gerald believed that there might not be any.

“Perhaps our spymasters will be better at such mysteries but that should not be. What happens when there is a murder, do you not have constables at your precincts that look for the killers?” Now there were a few nods. “Can someone speak for you. I believe you must be the chief constable of all our constables?” There was one man who had more bright metal buttons and gewgaws then any of the others. Looked older as well. A rather portly man with a fringe of white hair around a large bald spot. He had the typical heavy moustache and chops, as many older burghers had.