prologue

I'm fairly local
I've been around

The blonde narrowed her eyes at her parents who stood in front of her, glancing between her moose-like father and kitten-like mother

The blonde narrowed her eyes at her parents who stood in front of her, glancing between her moose-like father and kitten-like mother. Arms crossed in front of her chest, her milk-chocolate eyes darted from her mother to her father.

"Dad, it's one in the morning," Leo whined, craning her neck to glance up at the young Winchester brother. "You said you were going to be here for my birthday this year. Now you're leaving?" Sam Winchester sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Leo, I'm sorry, okay? I will make it up to you-"

"Next year. Yeah, right," the blonde teenager cut him off, turning around with arms still crossed in front of her chest. "You say that every year, but every year you leave the day before my birthday. I'm turning sixteen, Dad. Shouldn't I be allowed to have a father during a birthday?"

"Leo, you know what your father does." Jessica Moore, wife of Sam Winchester, started to back up her husband. "He's helping people all over the U.S. You should be proud of him instead of criticizing him." Leo let out a soft sigh and ran a hand through her tangled hair, facing her parents again.

"I know. I just..." she hesitated before making eye contact with Sam. "What if you die? What if you're killed by some psycho who decides, 'Hey, this guy may have a family. I should kill him.' I don't want to lose you." Tears swelled within Leo's eyes, her vision becoming blurry. She was never an emotional person in front of people, but preferred to cry when no one was looking. Her lower lip quivered and her parents let out a soft 'awe' before Sam pulled her into a hug.

"I'll go make some peppermint tea," Jess murmured in her husband's ear, leaving the room as he simply nodded.

Sam started to softly shush the teenage girl in his arms, her body heaving as she cried. He ran a hand through her hair before bending over and giving her a kiss on the top of her head. "I won't, Bug. I promise. Can you do something for me, though?" Sam pushed Leo away from him gently, his hands on her shoulders. Messy tears were down her face in a stream, and Leo brushed her blonde locks out of her face as she hiccuped, slowly calming down. "I need you to take care of your mom. Can you do that?" She wiped her tears away, giving her dad a weak smile.

"I'm n-not five anymore, Dad," Leo hiccuped, placing her hands on top of her father's monstrous sized ones. "But y-yeah. I'll watch h-her." Sam smiled, brushing away strands of hair out of Leo's face before planting a kiss on her forehead. He placed a hand on the side of her face, stroking her cheek with his thumb. Leo leaned into the gesture, sniffling.

"I love you, Daddy," she whispered, eyes closed as she tossed herself on top of her father, hugging him tightly. Sam let out a soft chuckle before standing straight up, carrying the teenager like he used to when she was only a toddler.

"I love you, too, Bug."