6. Perfectionist

Chapter 6 - Perfectionist

I woke up at around five in the morning and for some reason I knew exactly what to do to make my parents happy. I freshened up for the day and went straight to Rose’s room. “Ate Rose, let’s clean the house today.” Our helper was shocked but she submitted anyway. We started cleaning from the rooms upstairs to the rooms downstairs. I helped her cook breakfast and called my parents for breakfast. I gave my mom and dad a massage and asked them if they needed help with anything. After I was finished with my morning goal, I called up Lucas for ideas on what to give to my parents for Christmas.

            We went to the mall and he told me the perfect gift for my parents is a letter, a letter sharing my positive feelings towards them, a letter that expresses my love for them. He promised that letters touches hearts. If you really tell them how you feel. He also told me that material gifts are nothing like letters. But if ever I will buy a material gift. It must be useful. He emphasized. I ended up buying my mom a hand bag and a fountain and my dad a soft towel and a hat, he loved hats. I hid all the contents in the big shopping bag the sales lady gave me and parted ways with Lucas.

December 18, 2013

7:00pm

Dear You,

I was watching that white box for some time now. I haven't got a chance to ask Lucas about when I could open it. Or is there a right time to open it. Is there?

My parents didn't fight today nor did they put a frown in their faces. They were alright; somehow the bad emotions flew right out the window, but not quite.

You always told me that God really makes a way for us to broken just so that we could be closer to Him. Just like how you were so close to God, because you were broken.

Aria

● ● ● ● ●

I was eating my lunch when Lucas called me up, his exact words was “Let's visit my grandma in the hospital later; you can bring your parents along.” I just said “Okay” but inside my brain there was a battle on going. Why would my parents want to meet Lucas' grandmother? I asked them anyway. My mom was excited about the idea, she said and I quote “I would love to know the mother of the parents of Lucas, she must be lovely.” Yup, my mom was fond of that boy. Although my dad, simply said “I will just see” and left. At least he wasn't yelling.

It was around four in the afternoon, when Lucas arrived he greeted my mom with a friendly smile and my dad in the most civil manner. My dad only considered going because we were going to see my granddad as well, my mom's dad.

When we were in the hospital, my parents and I separated. We went to Lucas' grandmother, whose name was Tina. When we met her she was sitting on the hospital bed reading.

“There's my favorite nephew, come in, come in.” Grandma Tina says, but Lucas calls him Lola Tina.

“Lola, I would like you to meet my close friend, Aria.” Lucas introduced.

“Ahh, Aria, what a beautiful name you have, you just make sure your best friend here doesn't break hearts when he goes to college.” I laughed, I laughed not because Lola Tina was teasing him but because I found it absurd for him to even ask a girl out. Lucas just complained to his Lola about teasing him in front of people.

“Ayy..matanda na ako Lucas, pagbigyan mo naman Lola mo, minsan lang natatawa.” This time I understand what dialect his Lola used it meant, “Ahhh, I'm old already Lucas, just let me be, I only laugh sometimes.” He just smiled and hugged his Lola Tina which was really sweet.

“Oh Lola, Aria mentioned that she wanted to volunteer in a hospital, once.” Lucas started.

“Aria, I think the best place to volunteer help is with the people you know. You do know it's different here in Davao City, volunteering isn't really needed because we have enough nurses already.”

Lucas then suggested, “Can we just keep you company and then go up to Aria's granddad?”

“Of course hon.” Lola Tina smiled.

Time passed, as we told Lola Tina about our adventures, how we established our friendships, stories that made us learn a lesson and questions we needed answers for. We even read her book in an indescribably accent. This made her grin from ear to ear. Before we left she told us one thing,

“Remember this, Aria and Lucas, everyone is having a hard time, it's not only you always.” And it hit me, THAT'S IT! I needed to help my dad. I ran to the bedside of Lola Tina and hugged her, “Thank you.” I whispered.

Lucas and I went to my granddad’s room, where we found him fast asleep. My mom was smiling when we arrived. “Mommy, are you ok?” She hugged me tight. “Your grandfather just talked to your father; didn't you see your dad? He was smiling with pure joy.” Lucas and I were then clueless by now. “Your grandfather hated your dad by heart before, but now your grandfather told him he was impressed with your dad, for raising you so well and keeping the family business up.” My dad did come back smiling, and announced that we go home.

Lucas and I didn't talk the whole way to his house, after bidding him 'goodbye'. I was back to contemplating whatever had happened a while ago. I went home still dazed. I came to a point where I just kneeled down in prayer and thanked God for all he has done for the day.

December 19, 2013

11:58pm

Dear You,

Do you think that all these years, my dad had a grudge on my grandfather the whole time? Maybe this is why he was a perfectionist; he wanted to impress my grandfather ever since before. I guess it's safe to say I'm thankful for that. Christmas is coming up in a few days.

Are you on vacation? I think we need to talk. I miss you.

Aria