Chapter 3 "Arrival at Paradise Island"

Tim was so surprised that they nearly got out of the driveway and into the sidewalk! Fortunately, there was no one walking on the sidewalk.

Then when Tim recovered from his surprise, he repeated Cathy's question with an amused laugh.

"Have I seen any mermaids in Paradise Island...huh?" then he paused as if to think the matter through.

"Uh-huh!" came Cathy's excited voice.

"I don't know..." Tim said slowly as if for suspense and at the same time looking at the rear view mirror at Cristie with one eyebrow raised cockily. " But I believed I did. When I was a boy about 11 ,or was it 12, me and my sister visited grandma. One night, me and my sister got into a terrible fight. Oh how terrible it was. Our loud voices were the only sound you could hear in the neighborhood. I wouldn't blame the neighbors if they'd complain—"

"Did they?" Cathy interrupted. Both Sim and Cristie were listening and prompted Tim to go on.

"Well, as I said before, my sister and I had a fight. I was so mad at her, though I don't remember what caused our fight, that I walked out of the house and stomped all the way to the beach. I saw a shell and madly kicked it. I had kicked so hard that the shell went sailing out getting nearer the water. Just then, suddenly, a hand reached out from the surface of the sea and caught the shell. Since it was dark, and the moon was obscured by a cloud at that time, I couldn't see clearly but for a few moments, as the peeked through the clouds, I saw a creature emerge from underwater raising first its head then the neck down to the shoulders. It was a little mermaid! And if I was right, was the same age as me. Her hair was as yellow as the sun and had sky blue streaks like waves on a calm sea. She was so beautiful.

And when she dove into the water, I saw her tail was blue. A deep aqua blue." Tim chuckled. " And even before she dove, she smiled at me."

Cathy and Cristie exchanged surprised and excited glances. Cathy immediately took out the book from her rucksack that had been sitting on her lap the whole trip up until now.

"Did she look like this?" she said holding up the book on the right side of Tim so he could at least glance at it. And Tim did. And ,when he did, he swiftly swerved to the sidewalk and slammed on the brakes. Then he grabbed the book from Cathy's outstretched hand and stared at it for a long time. After some time, Cathy, who was closer to Tim, heard Tim whisper something like 'tia' or something. Then he gave back the book to Cathy and asked her," Where did you get that book?"

"Secret..." Cathy said mysteriously.

Tim looked at her both suspiciously and doubtfully. Then he seemed to give up the idea of asking and said, "Yep. That's her alright. Her name's Tiana Pearl and believe me or not she's the princess of their whole merdom."

Cathy's and Cristie's jaw dropped way down in surprise. Sim on the other hand just sat quietly and thoughtfully. 

Tim started the car and stepped on the accelerator. " Just wait 'til you see and meet her. Tim grinned.

Cathy squealed. "You mean— I really get to see a real live mermaid?! Can I see her when we get there?"

"I think so. But if it's still daylight, you won't see her."

Cathy's smile instantly vanished, replaced by a disappointed frown. "Why?""Because ... she doesn't come out until sunset." Tim explained.

Cathy got tired of sitting and waiting so she rested her head on her sister's shoulder and slept.

And when she opened her eyes it was morning! Tim came into the room.

"Oh! Miss mermaid-crazy is awake. "he teased Cathy. "Come on! Breakfast is ready." then he added airily, " And I've got an announcement to make."