7

That Halloween night certainly impacted him for the days to come. He couldn't spend a minute around her without what Carol had told him stuck in the back of his mind. It was stresssful. Confusing. Enraging. Who does she actually like? Why is she doing all this? What's going on? All these questions consumed him as he stared longingly at the animals outside the bus window, envious of their blissful freedom from such worries.
           "Throughout the fieldtrip each student will have their own room," a teacher announced. "Be reminded that past 8p.m. you are not allowed to be in a room belonging to the opposite gender."
           "Lex," Jasmin tugged his shoulder. "You're thinking about her again? C'mon, enjoy this nature everyone keeps going on about, don't keep thinking of girls." He wished he could. He wished he could just forget that crushing burden. submerged in the sea of his thoughts, the day flew by quickly. The seals and lions failed to distract him from Emily, who hadn't come along on the trip.
He walked out of his little room, planning to take a walk around the condominiums. Instead, he was delightedly surprised to discover Carol standing outside. "You're wearing pyjamas?" he lightly teased.
"Stop judging," she smirked, "take a look in the mirror and get a good look at that tiger jacket you're wearing." Her expression abruptly shifted into a more solemn one. "I...need someone to talk to, and, really, you're the only one who can relate." She lead him to her room, conveniently only two doors away.
"How are you and Emily?" she hesitantly asked once they were inside.
"Honestly I can't look her in the eye without thinking of her as a dirty liar."
"I'm sorry I shouldn't have told you that," she spoke with much regret. She was replied, however, with an expression of gratitude. "If you hadn't told me, I'd still be her mindless puppet."
"Is that really all we both are? Puppets? Tools. Trophies for people like them," she softly spoke, as if frightened by the thought.
"No." He was certain. "To be honest at first I'd thought you were some lunatic, but now I see how wrong I was." It was the first thing he'd been sure of in several days. "You just picked the short straw to have met a guy like Rojan."
"Heh, I could say the same for you."
It was a new feeling. One he'd never felt. Calmness, relief. No fear, no anxiety. It was different from the intoxicating adrenaline he'd felt with Devina and Emily. The world didn't dissipate away, no, he felt more keen to all the details. He felt a new appreciation for the simple things, a new appreciation for Carol. The two fell silent in understanding. Both struggling to comprehend this foreign wave of emotions. Her blonde hair magnificently glowed under the vibrant light, accentuating her distinctly beautiful features. Alex leaned forwards, thoughts of Emily, of Devina, of his family, of the bullies, all rushed through his mind but none of them were an obstacle to him. She followed. Their eyes remained in lock before they slowly slid close. It was a magical kiss. Truly, magical.