Two

3 Years Later

     I stare into the mirror, instinctively reaching toward my chest for a pendant that no longer lays there. His voice is playing from the radio. BTS has since gained more notoriety than anyone ever imagined. The pain I was left with that single night no longer hurts. I just smile with pride for their success. They have a new comeback album to be released soon. Well, they call it a comeback but it never feels like they really left my side. What I do feel, is excitement. A new album means promotions. Even if it is only on TV, I will get to see him. Min Yoongi. My Min Yoongi. I will get to see that breathtaking gummy smile of his once again. I finish getting ready for work and sit down at my vanity desk. I finished college just over a year ago and now work for a great publishing company my professor referred me to. I think of how my life has changed in just three years. College, part-time jobs, two relationships, my first apartment, and now establishing my career.

     I open up the modest jewelry box on my vanity. Cherry wood with "Emma" carved on the lid. A graduation gift I anonymously received last year. Right there in a heart-shaped velvet-lined compartment lays my pendant. I run my fingers over it, remembering the moment my ex-boyfriend of 5 months ripped it off my neck. His voice full of anger still rings clearly in my head, "All you ever do is talk about him! He's just another celebrity that was looking to get laid and you happened to be there. Do you really think he gave a shit about you? Stop living in a fantasy and get the fuck over it !" That was the moment he ripped my necklace off and threw it out of the window before leaving. It took me four hours to find my pendant. The broken chain was long gone. I've gone back and forth countless times trying to decide if he was right. Maybe I really am living in a fantasy waiting for Yoongi. I know I should live my life, stop chasing the way my heart felt racing a million miles an hour whenever Yoongi looked into my eyes, touched me, kissed me. I should stop waiting, dreaming of a future with Yoongi. We only spent one date together, after all. I decide it is probably for the best to forget but just before I close the jewelry box lid, I snatch the pendant and stick it in my pocket. I'm not ready to forget.

     I get to my job and head straight to the break room for coffee. I find my co-worker, Lily, already there pouring creamer into her steaming cup, "Good morning!" She's always a little too perky in the morning. I politely smile back, "Good morning." Lily sips on her coffee and offers me a piece of her banana nut muffin, "It's Friday! You never come out with us! A group of us are going to Club XS tonight. Come with us! I have a really cute friend going and he's single. . ." She looks at me expectantly but we both already knew my answer before she even finished her sentence. "No, I can't tonight but maybe next time, thanks," I say, just before popping a piece of muffin into my mouth. Lily smiles and shrugs her shoulders, "Well, in case you change your mind, you have my number." Lily finishes her coffee, throws away her trash, and leaves. I get asked to go out with co-workers all the time but I would rather go home and be by myself.