Prologue

"The eight planets in our solar system are just the bare minimum of those in existence. In reality, there are an infinite number of planets, making it very likely for some of them to have life. Just like Earth."

The little girl's muffled whispers were quite loud in the otherwise silent room. Luckily, though, not loud enough for her parent's to hear her. It was nearing midnight, meaning she was up way past her bedtime. She couldn't help it, though. She was in the middle of a very interesting book.

She hid under her covers, shining her flashlight onto the pages as she read the words aloud to herself. "Out there, right now, there could be another person reading a book just like this one, but on some other planet far, far away from here," she read. She almost dropped her flashlight at such an insinuation.

"Woah." She was in awe. She always was when she read her astronomy books. She always learned the most wonderful things reading them.

She leaned her head back down toward her book in an attempt to learn more, but as she did so her flashlight began flickering, blinking on and off for a few seconds before the light died out completely.

She huffed in a pout and begrudgingly crawled out from under her make-shift fort. She'd have to ask her dad for new batteries in the morning. Deciding, it was finally time for bed, she marked her page in her book and walked across her room to place it back onto her bookshelf.

The window beside the shelf was open, letting a cool breeze fill the room. Vega smiled widely as she looked outside at the glistening sky. It was a clear night tonight, allowing her to see the moon and stars perfectly. She couldn't wait until the day she could travel up there. It was her dream to go through space and travel all throughout out the unknown.

As she stared at the sky, she noticed something that didn't look right. A bright, white light glowed in the sky. It was unlike anything she had ever seen before. She stepped up onto her toes and leaned closer to the window's screen, trying to get a better look at the strange light. She squinted her eyes. "What is that?" She mumbled to herself, her brain trying to sort through all of the spatial information she had stored up there.

CRACK.

All of a sudden, the light shot down through the atmosphere and to the earth's surface, causing a force wave to pass through that was strong enough to knock Vega to the ground.

Her heart beat rapidly and she stared up with wide eyes. Hurriedly, she pushed herself off the ground to see what had happened. The white light shone straight to the earth and from her young eyes, it looked like whatever it was, was close by her house. The light looked to have landed somewhere within the woods behind her house.

"What is that?" She asked herself. "I have to know."

She was curious. Always had been and most likely always would be. She checked outside of her room for any signs that her parents had awoken. She even went to the door and put her ear against it. She could plainly hear both of her parents snoring and she shook her head. "They could sleep through anything," she laughed quietly. Honestly, how had the light not woken them?

Vega knew that her parents would never allow her to go out into the woods in the middle of night so she made her decision to not ask permission first. Instead, she snuck downstairs to her back door. She slid on her flip-flops before going outside as quietly as she possibly could.

About five steps into the woods, she really started to wish that her flashlight hadn't died out. The light from the night sky didn't pass the tops of the trees and Vega couldn't see more than a step ahead of herself. Luckily, the white light still shone down from the sky so she at least knew which direction to go.