1:The Start

When I was three my grandfather told me stories about werewolves and Zombies, every night until I was 17. He died of a heart attack on May 20. I thought the stories he told were just bedtime story's until I was 21, time repeated itself.

People were getting sick, like really really sick. Many turned, not into mythical creatures but into the undead. They didn't look like the zombies you see in Hollywood movies. Their skin was still intact but only for a while, their skin turned grey in a matter of hours and sometimes they eat each other but that's very rare. They ate people, often in packs or groups.

Anyway aside from that, the apocalypse happened a year ago, I'm 22 now, my mum is one of them, the undead, and my father died when I was a baby. I have one sister but she's all the way on the other side of the world. We used to talk, that was until everything turned upside down.

Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Katina Rellik, I'm 22 and alone. I'm also a fighter, we go out kill, get medicine, supply's and guard the plumbers we have left, to fix our water pipes.

You're probably thinking what about all the animals? Well to answer your good Question, they all soon fled or got eaten, but when we go out into the forest to collect firewood or herbs I find paw prints of a dog of some sort. There's usually only one set of tracks but whenever I follow them it leads to the same place, a small waterfall.

The water sparkles like it was God's place, the grass was always green even if it hadn't rained in a month. The trees were a mixture of pine and oak, the leaves looked as if they had just sprouted. The bushes, there were all kinds, blueberry, Rhododendron, strawberry and even blackberry bushes. Flowers grew all around colors ranging from pink, blue, white, yellow and red. There were even two or three apple trees. Everything looked like someone took care of it. But there was never any proof that someone was there, apart from animals.

The small waterfall was magical, there was only one entrance which was too well hidden that without the tracks I would never have suspected anything. The entrance was a small cave-like hole at the bottom of a small cliff covered by a sheet of moss. I go there often to think. I always felt a strong connection.

You're probably wondering how I get out of the city. Well, I found a small exit only I know of. The city is divided from the rest of the world by a 50-foot wall built up by metal and wood found in homes and taken from buildings.

School still goes on for kids but they mostly learn about how to fight, there's a training school, high school, primary and Middle school. The kids who aren't in any schools are kept in homes and safe places.

Anyways back to reality. At the moment I'm swimming around in the lake the waterfall fills up. There is a stream where the excess water runs off into somewhere unknown. I have my bra and undies on and my clothes folded neatly with my gun, fully loaded, on top.

I'm sitting in the water on a rock shallow enough only my head, neck and shoulders show. I'm looking down at my reflection, my light brown, wavy, waist long hair soaking wet and my natural light pink lips plump and kissable. My hazel green eyes red and puffy from crying.

You see I don't like myself, I miss my mum and my grandfather, we were all so close. I was bullied and often called fat and a freak in school. I had a sharp, precise sense of smell, I could hear whispered from across the room and I was stronger and faster than a lot of people. I still am all these things.

I don't have a perfect body, I don't have a flat stomach or a perfect butt, and I most certainly don't have perfect legs. As much as I try to lose weight I end up getting out of the habit. I've wanted to die for so long. "I'm sick of this, why can't I just not have been born? I'm so lonely, all my friends were either infected or eaten and died. I should just end it all. Right here, right now." I looked at my folded pile of clothes and saw the box of Panadol I stole from one of the missions to get medicine. I reached for the box. "Or maybe it can be a quick death." I looked at my gun. I grabbed both and held them in each hand.

"I doubt anyone would care if I was gone." I got up, put on my clothes and sat back down on the rock in the water. I was pretty tired. The sun was setting. I took one tray and popped all of the pills out, swam to the small waterfall careful not to wet the pills, swallowed them and held my hands out for the water to fill up in my hands. I drank it and went back to my spot and got comfortable. Ready for my death.

I woke up the next day. Ate an apple and some strawberries "Didn't I...?" I realized. "Wait I woke up on the grass, not in the... water?" I looked at the spot where I woke up and saw a meter away from where I was, was vomit, it was mine. Whoever saved me I'm not thankful. I wanted to die. Who could have been here?

Days passed and I decided to permanently live here at the waterfall. I went back to the city to get my guns, ammo, clothes, a towel, soap, bag, water bottle, plate, bowel, toilet paper and everything you need. I even found a few bags of spicey beef Jerky that was still good.

I went back to the small waterfall, grabbed a few of the waterproof tarps and hung that from three trees. I put another one on the back and one on the ground careful not to put my shelter near the little vomit that was left from a few days ago. I put another tarp at the front and let it hang down so it was like a door. I grabbed my pocket knife and cut a line down the middle on the entrance to my "room" and put my fold up bed down, my supply's and bag inside. Made my bed and put the pillow on top. By now it was sunset so I decided to go butt naked in the lake.

I washed my hair and body then got out. I collected sticks and stones to make a fire. I placed the stones in a circular formation then put the sticks in with a bit of dead grass I found outside the waterfall entrance. I grabbed the matches and lit the grass on fire.

I grabbed my MP3 player and put on my favorite song. I connected it up to a solar Bluetooth speaker, careful not to set the sound to high to give away my home's location.

I had half a packet of beef jerky and some water. I put the fire out and soon after that I went to sleep.

I woke up and looked at my watch, it was 12 am. "What was that?" I thought to myself as I peaked out the shelter careful not to open it too wide. I heard howling and something inside me just clicked, like I was being called. I looked at the moon and saw a huge Wolf standing on the cliff, that surrounded the area. I felt my body move out of my shelter, I couldn't take control of what I was doing.

The Wolf looked at me for a full minute, by then I had stopped walking and was now standing at the water's edge. I watched as the Wolf ran away. I shook of the said events and went to bed thinking of this as a dream.