Memories

A/N: For quick reference, Astigaarian culture is a mix of Japanese and ancient Roman (although the Roman parts more closely relate to military and architecture). Nene just means little sister in the Astigaarian language (when addressing to), and Atana means mother (when talking about). Haya is an honorific used to address royalty, although one should never do this to the emperor. You should just refer to him as "Emperor Hada", or if you're close, even "Emperor Sachi."

She remembered the times before her enslavement, back in a small village on the coastline of Astigaaria. The people fished there, the children played, and the air was a mix hot and cool. When the time was right, there was the season within the season—the period when mighty typhoons and cyclones would ravage the coastline. But her people presevered, and even in the darkest hour, always came out on top in the end. Their homes would be destroyed—but they would just build them again. Jealous neighbors and reprobate bandits raided their lands—but they would fight and beat back the enemy.

She remembered her name. It was Leita, back then, and she'd once been proud of it.

One day, the emperor himself came to this tiny village, seeking a wife. Why? No one knew, and no one dared to question him and his motives. Perhaps, he meant to marry someone out of the Astigaarian nobility—to disassociate himself from the disgruntled clansmen... Or perhaps, it was simpler a motive; he wanted a wife that was easy to please, a woman who was not concerned with the things of the material world. Leita could only speculate.

However, when he laid eyes on her, he appeared obsessed, pining after her, throwing out the hints that he wanted her to be his. She knew she was beautiful, and of course, this was no curse. Leita was proud of the way she kept herself: clean, proper, healthy. Truly, she was not surprised when she was chosen; but she wasn't happy either. She did not want to leave home.

However, he was the emperor. What could she do? His rule was uncontestable, and his authority so absolute, that in Astigaaria, he was the equivalent to a god. No one would say no to a god, not even Leita's own parents, who loved her so much, said that if they could have had any other choice in the matter, they would have fought to keep her.

After that point, Leita was a lost soul who, for a time, wandered the empty void that was her life. She had a little sister—a few years younger than herself—that she used to play with almost everyday. She'd miss her, her parents, the other families. How could she possibly hope to fill all these gaps now that her future was set in stone? And how would she possibly be able to fill the gap that the absence of her sister would create?

It simply wasn't possible. "You two are as close as a bunch of bananas," Leita's mother used to say. While it didn't make the most sense to Leita, she could still understand where she was coming from. They were thick as thieves, the two of them, and nothing could keep them apart.

That was why Leita woke up to her sister one night in the emperor's camp. She'd followed her—even snuck past the elite guard delegated to the perimeter patrol. How elite, Leita thought, that the emperor's chosen warriors were unable to spot her. Not elite enough, apparently.

She was in her own tent at the time, and the girl, as sly as a fox, managed to creep undearneath the fabric at the back of the tent...

"I'm coming with you."

Leita turned around. It was a peaceful night; the cricket's chirped, the air was pleasant, but the last thing she expected to hear was her sister's voice again. After all the tears and countless goodbyes, her heart had been shattered—but now, all of a sudden, it seemed as though it were possible to make the pieces of it whole again.

No, she thought. This was folly. If she is caught...

Leita shook her head. "What are you—? How did you—" Lissandra's mouth hung open. "You need to go back to our parents." She pointed toward the inch-high gap in the tent. "Don't just stand there you stupid little..." She swallowed the last word, girl. "Go, now!"

Leita's sister shook her head. "No," she said simply.

Leita sighed, eyes widening. "Oh, Nene, why?!" She marched up to her, putting both her hands on her sister's shoulders.

Her sister smiled. "I want us to be like a bunch of bananas again," she said in her little voice. "You know, like Atana used to say."

Leita cocked a brow. "Suika..." She collapsed onto her knees. "You can't do this... I know you love me, and please... please, know that I love you." She started to whimper, her words blubbering out of her mouth. How could she possibly put this?

She held back her tears.

"Leita?"

She got up, putting on a stern look.

"But I don't want you here."

Suika gritted her teeth, baring them. "He shouldn't have say!"

Leita grimaced. She doesn't understand... How can I make her understand? "I know, but what choice do I even have in the matter?" She narrowed her eyes. "Listen to me. Think of what I could do for our family by—I can hardly even believe this myself... But think of what I could do for us by being the emperor's wife! Damn it, even just his concubine! Think!"

"Stay home." Suika's face turned dour. "Leita...? You're not really leaving, are you?" She started to cry, a single tear running down her cheek.

"I could ask him for provisions, regiments of guards so we don't have lose our loved ones anymore. I could ask him for—"

"Shut up!"

Leita bit down on her tongue.

Suika took in deep breaths; she'd shouted. If there was anyone nearby...

"Sueoka Haya? Are you alright? Sueoka Haya?"

Leita smiled. "I'll make this worth it," she said, hopefully. "I'll come back someday. I promise... Let me talk to them. I'll ask for them to escort you home on horseback. No incidents."

Suika frowned, and she practically seethed through her teeth at that point. There was nothing more to be said between the two. Their relationship—something they'd held dearer than life—was a ruin.

And Leita—Lissandra—made a promise she would never be able to keep.