Chapter Thirteen

"Wrebels." I say. Walt, Bruce, and Levi understand, but Ryan and Eamon are confused. I explain. "The first letters of our names spell out wrebel. Aka rebel. So we could call ourselves wrebels. It's also a sign that we are supposed to rebel. We can defeat the government." I say.

"A little confident there, Eden." Bruce says. "So agreed? We are not mistakes. We are wrebels." Everyone nods.

"Wait." I say. "So if we all have virtues, what are they?" Then Bruce pulls out a syringe from his back pocket. "Woah, what do you think you're doing?" says Eamon. "Don't worry. It only hurts a little. When you inject it into your arm, the screen up there will tell you what virtue you own." He points to a tv mantled on the wall. "And how do you know this will work?" Asks Levi. "Trust me, I made it myself, hooked it up to the tv and all. I assure you it will work." He raises his arm, and plunges the needle into a vein that pops out where his arm bends. He winces in pain, but the needle is still stuck in his arm. Then, when he removes the needle from his vein, the tv turns on. On the screen, bright words appear. "Name: Bruce Carton. Age: 16. Eye color: Black. Designated Virtue: Intelligence.

Everyone is in shock and awe. "Are you serious, you're intelligent?" Walt asks. "Well this has to be broken." Says Ryan. Everyone laughs. "Ha-ha. Not every smart person has to he a nerd. Eamon, you're up." Bruce responds. "How much does it hurt?" Eamon asks. "A lot, actually. I didn't realize it hurt that much until the needle stuck in my arm. But you have to, trust me, I wasn't so happy about it either." Bruce starts. "Walt, help me out and hold his shoulders down." Walt walks over and does what he was asked. "Sorry." Walt looks down at Eamon, who stares at the syringe in fear but holds his arm out to it. Bruce instantly plunges the needle in Eamon's arm and he lets out a quiet and short shriek of pain. Then the tv reads his data. Name: Eamon Hale. Age: 15. Eye color: Orange. Designated Virtue: Magnanimity.

"What's magnanimity?" Eamon asks. "Magnanimity: To lack meanness or pettiness, to willingly face danger calmly, and to show full kindness and generosity to those who deserve it."

We continue with the syringe.

"Name: Levi Reynolds. Age: 15. Eye color: Light purple. Designated Virtue: Wisdom."

Wisdom: The trait of using knowledge and experience with common sense and insight.

"Name: Ryan Goldwyn. Age: 16. Eye color: Green. Designated Virtue: Perseverance."

Perseverance: To be ambitious; to refuse to stop despite failures, delays, or difficulties.

"Name: Walt Grey. Age: 15. Eye color: Blue. Designated Virtue: Integrity."

Integrity: To be honest; to have strong moral principles and to be morally upright.

Then it's my turn. Without hesitation, I walk to Bruce. I hold out my arm, and he sticks the needle in my vein. It hurts horribly. I wince, but it doesn't take long for him to take out the needle. Then I watch the tv.

"Name: Eden Spring.

Age: 15.

Eye color: Hazel.

Designated Virtue: Bravery."

Bravery? Then it hits me. I have never noticed it before, but I am brave. I was brave when I ran on top of a moving train car in complete darkness. I was brave during the Savior attack at school when I ran toward the gun shots, against the screaming crowd, just to find Marina. And I was brave when I hopped into a hole in the ground, not knowing where it will take me or how I will land.

"Now that we all know our virtues," Walt starts. "I have made a plan. In a week, we take as many clothes as possible without suitcases. I will provide the guns. Eamon will bring food. Eden will bring canteens for all of us, each one filled with water. Ryan will bring six backpacks for each of us. Bruce, bring as much technical, confusing gadgets as you can that will help us in combat. And Levi, bring other supplies like rope, blankets, pillows, etc. We will hop on the 5:00 train and ride it to the end of Wood. Then, we jump. We can survive in the woods and no one will know we're gone. Then, when the time is right, we rebel."

Everyone laughs. "Are you crazy," Bruce starts "That's the dumbest idea I have ever heard. And it is full of flaws. First of all, why are we randomly running into the woods? Second, where will you get the guns? Third, even if we had the guns, six kids with guns wouldn't stand a chance against millions of Saviors with millions of weapons."

"Fine," Walt starts, irritated "We would escape into the woods because out here, we will be murdered on sight just like all the other mistakes. We could train and practice combat in the woods, too. My dad had big machine guns that he used to hunt, and when he died, they were left in his room. They are still there today. And if we don't do something now, it will never be done. So if you're in, meet me in the 5:00 train, second to last train car." He begins to walk away, but then he turns and starts to speak.

"Mistakes are made for a reason."

Then he climbs up the latter.