Chapter 1

My mom always told me if I had nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Sometimes, though, it can get really hard to keep all of those angry words in. There are days when they feel like they could just tumble out of my mouth and there would be nothing I could do to stop them. They would be out in the open for everyone to judge.

I'm pretty sure that's never happened before and I know that I never want it to happen. People would laugh at how childish I am and mock me. So I do the best that I can to be nice to everyone, even the people I hate.

"Laya? LAYA!" I hear a voice from my right call to me. I quickly snap out of my sudden daze and turned to my best friend. Minji Lee and I had known each other ever since we were 2 years old. Our parents practically forced us together once they found out we were in the same class and lived in the same neighborhood.

Minji was a fairly tall girl with long brown hair and blue dyed ends. Her pale green eyes always glowed with a sort of happiness to them that made me always feel safe. We started high school last year together and she met her boyfriend, Zelo. Those two are closer than two peas in a pod. I doubt they will ever break up.

"Are you ok Laya? Did you even hear my question?" she asked me, confused. Me, her, and Zelo always ate lunch together everyday. I always kind of felt like a third wheel since they were all lovey dovey like 24/7. But they were my only friends so I can't really complain.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just kind of blanked out for a second. What did you ask me?" I wondered curiously. It was a rare occasion when Minji stopped making goo goo eyes at Zelo to talk to me about the latest gossip. I was fine with it though. It gave me more time to enjoy my thoughts.

"Have you seen the new kid? Apparently he transferred from that preppy school right down the street. No one knows anything about him yet." Her eyes danced with curiosity like they always did when she wanted to find out more.

Our school was average and there was nothing really special about it. And there were definitely better schools around than ours. So why would someone transfer from a better school to ours?

"I haven't heard anything! I didn't even know there was a new student here!" My inquisitiveness grew along with hers as she looked around the cafeteria to see if he was eating this lunch. It was unlikely since we had three separate ones but next thing I knew she was jumping up and down in her seat and pointing to the left of her.

"There he is! He's eating alone. I thought at least someone would be sitting with him." she said hitting Zelo on the arm to make him look and see too.

My attention turned that way and there he was. It was like my eyes were incapable of leaving that one spot. Like they were glued there and I couldn't get them unstuck. He had short black hair and big ears. I couldn't see him that well from so far away but I could tell in an instant that he was not failing in the looks department.

"Oh yeah him. He's in our math class right Minji?" Zelo asked his girlfriend grabbing her hand on the table casually.

She gripped it back and sarcastically said to him "Yeah cause I pay attention so much in math class. I don't even know one other person in there. Except you of course!"

They both smiled at each other and did an Eskimo kiss, rubbing their noses together lovingly. I ignored this image and instead kept gazing at the beauty right across the cafeteria. He was eating some kind of sandwich while reading a book. When he finished his sandwich he promptly threw away his trash and left, never once directing his attention away from his book.

The whole rest of lunch I was consumed with images of him in my mind. All I could think about was getting to know this mysterious person. Even once lunch ended and we were walking towards the science classroom, which we had together, I just couldn't stop thinking about him.

When we say down, a thought occurred to me. I turned to Zelo since I knew Minji really didn't know anything about him. "What is his name? The new kid I mean?"

He turned to me but right before he said anything, class started and he couldn't speak anymore. I didn't think I could take waiting until the end of class, but just as I was getting antsy a piece of paper was slide in my direction. Only one thing was written on it.

Park Chanyeol.