Chapter 26: Kiss Me Goodbye

Amelia walks out of the room and makes her way to the kitchen to see Maxie already in the table, drinking coffee. She stops at the entrance and her breath hitches when the other girl looks up and smiles at her but she doesn't smile back.

"Help yourself." Maxie tells her gesturing to the variety of food on the table and Amelia sits across the girl. She opens her mouth to ask once again why she's there when Maxie cuts her off. "Roxie called me. She told me you were too drunk and too stubborn to go home and that maybe I could convince you." The girl adds.

"But why even go there?" Amelia challenges, wanting to hear those words from Maxie. She keeps her eyes lock with soft golden ones as she waits for the reply with bated breath.

"Because Amelia." She shivers at the way her name leaves Maxie's lips. "I care about you." She can't help but smile as she shakes her head. "Amelia..you said some things last night. Things I know you didn't mean to say to me." This time her heart starts to race but keeps her composure. "You said you're marrying Logan to protect me. You said your mom will come after me if you don't marry him." She stays quiet, cursing herself for getting too drunk and cursing her friend for calling her ex.

"I was drunk Maxie. I probably didn't know what I was saying last night." Amelia defends crossing her arms over her chest as if to shield herself from pain. "Thank you for bringing me here and taking care of me but I don't need you to do anything for me. We're not together." It hurts her to say those words to the person she loves but she has to. "I should go home." She tries to stand, to leave but the next words that leaves the other girl's lips stops her.

"You said you love me." Amelia gulps as she looks anywhere but at Maxie. "Did you mean it?" Maxie softly asks and Amelia feels guilty for thinking of lying.

"Like I said Maxie, I was drunk." She starts but doesn't finish as the other girl cuts her off.

"I love you." Maxie confesses. "I love you Amelia. And I'm sorry if I let our moms manipulate us. I'm sorry if I believed them. I should have known better but I was hurt and angry and I directed it towards you without finding out the truth." For the first time Amelia sees Maxie cry and her heart clenches tightly in her chest. "I thought I could move on and forget about you but dammit I can't because I love you." Maxie adds, stumbling over her words. She wants to get close to the girl and tell her everything's okay but she stays rooted in her place, her own tears pouring down her eyes. "Do you love me?" Maxie asks and Amelia knows she deserves the truth.

"I love you." Amelia sees the hope sparking in those gold eyes. "But I'm engaged." She watches as the hope disappears from Maxie's eyes, shoulders slumping in defeat.

"Do you love him?" Maxie asks with disheartened tone. She contemplates answering but seeing sadness overtaking Maxie's eyes she opts to stand up. She watches as Maxie looks at her with blank eyes before it turns into surprised when she walks up to her. She takes Maxie's face in her hands, wiping away the tears before leaning down and placing a kiss on her forehead. Amelia pulls away to see Maxie's eyes are close, she can't help but smile before leaning down to place a kiss on the girl's lips. She feels Maxie stiffen before responding, can taste the saltiness of their tears as they kiss for what would be the last time. Right now Amelia will let herself indulge, to be selfish with Maxie. She feels Maxie's hands on her hips, holding her close as they kiss and kiss and kiss until the need to breathe is too much to ignore. They reluctantly pull away enough to looks into each other's eyes.

"I'll always love you." Amelia whispers against soft lips. She can see the realization in Maxie's eyes. "Goodbye Maxie." She adds pulling away completely, turning away to avoid seeing the pain in golden eyes and walking out of the apartment.