Chapter 3

While both are on Jeju Island, Kim and Cassie meet up again by accident, after he nearly runs over Cassie with his car as she escaped from loan sharks yet again. He doesn't recognize her at first as the lady on the plane and he takes her to the hospital to be checked out; Casie pretends to be hurt, hoping to get some cash for her "emotional distress", but she has no luck because the loan sharks even invade the hospital and disrupt it looking for her.

Eventually she does manage to escape the hospital and goes to Kim's apartment upon invitation so she can get her purse and other belongings back from him. She hands him her business cardhe notices that she speaks Chinese, and asks her if she would act as a tour guide for his business interests because a group of Chinese investors are coming that evening and he has lost his previous translator. She does an excellent job and the Chinese men adore her! (Can't blame them!). When they leave, Cassie, having nowhere to go, sneaks into Kim's guest house for a couple of days to sleep on the comfy bed. During the day she picks tangerines from his orchard and sells them on the street to make money. Eventually Kim's finds her out and she tearfully returns all the money to him, to avoid his calling the police for her theft. Even though she was in the wrong there was something just a bit disturbing about a filthy rich guy not helping a destitute girl on the run from men who would attack her. Even Kim seems to feel this eventually and hires her permanently as a tour guide for his business due to her language skills (she had learned multiple languages due to her gambling father fleeing from country to country to escape the loan sharks).