fourteen

Vladimir;

The room was empty in the sense that there was no one and no signs of life inside. The floor was cold and dry, the sheets folded properly, the curtains open. No tea or biscuits were served which meant that the maids had known there was no one.

He grabbed the pillow and sniffed it. The musk he had asked the maids to spray on the pillows daily had worn out now, which means that the room had been left unattained for a two to three days.

He opened the wardrobe. All of the dresses he gave her were in there place but everything else was gone. If he didn't know better, he'd think no one lived in this room at all.

Tsar Vladimir shouted for the guards to come. She had left and he was not informed, she had been away for days and he knew just now. The guards came in running, standing straight at the stern expression on the Tsar's face. "Who was guarding this room?"

One of the men stepped to the front, stomping and bowing. Vladimir watched him. "Come to the Tsar's room and bring the head of the maids immediately. If you are late, I will behead you."

The man nodded, dashing outside. Vladimir walked back to his room, the book he intended to show to Cythera still held in his hand. What was the point in ruling a country when he couldn't discipline his own servants and guards and advisors?

Back in his room, he waited exactly two minutes for the guard and the head of the maids to arrive, both panting. The two bowed and he let them stay bowed for a while.

The concern was as vivid as a full moon on a dark night. Vladimir hated doing this but no one ever learns from being spoken to nicely. "Who is responsible for cleaning the guest room in the western wing?" he paced in front of the head of maids, cocking his head to the right.

She looked up and then averted her eyes. "I-I don't know, the rounds switch up often and by the—"

He didn't want to hear it, he didn't want to. "What do you mean you don't know?" he held her by the chin, her black eyes going wide. "Why am I hiring you? What does being the head of the maids mean to you?"

He had failed, if this is the staff he had hired, then he had failed. For a moment she was too afraid to speak and then, "Moy Tsar if you could give me one second to ch—"

"Answer my question," He said, still holding her chin.

She swallowed and answered, Vladimir released her. "And you," he turned to face the guard. "Where were you when she left for good? And don't tell me you didn't see her because she had carried a pile of her things along so unless you were blind or not paying attention, you would've seen her."

The guard stayed silent. Vladimir placed his hands behind his back, eye brows raised, waiting for a reply.

It frustrated him, how she does whatever pleases her and no one can stop it. Even when she has no wealth or authority, her word is law to herself and everyone who wouldn't follow cannot be included in her little world.

"I asked you a question soldier,"

The man was rigid, looking at the ground and trying to make a proper statement to defend himself. Vladimir took a step back from him. "How convenient for me to not know what is happening in my own palace."

The two lowered their heads, ashamed. "I want whoever is responsible for this by dinner, if you two don't find me someone to punish, I'll punish you both. Dismissed."

They rushed out as fast as they can without running, bowing until they reached the door. He rubbed his eyes, waiting for his anger to cool down. He hated speaking down to his people, hated when they misbehaved because then he would be forced to take actions against them.