thirty

Vladimir;

If the collar of his vest got any tighter, he was sure to choke. Vladimir wore a red velvet vest embroidered with gold woven into silk. The imperial coat over it was all gold and white, the sleeves made of red fabric.

He looked the way he did on his coronation day, except this time he did not have a huge cape that draped behind him, or the orb in his hand as he swore to the Russian church. This time he was every bit the Tsar, covered in finery and jewels, hair combed and servants swirling around him.

His minister carried carefully his crown and placed it over his head. It was a heavy and huge thing, shining so bright with its huge red spinel and diamond cross above it, a symbol of his Christian faith, that all his glory and power came from God. "Your guests are waiting moy Tsar,"

He stood up, careful to balance the crown atop his head. Six servants marched beside him, his minister holding his Imperial Sceptre, a sceptre with double-headed eagle and a massive diamond beneath it. He was glad to not be holding that thing either, since it made it harder for him to keep his straight back and confident walk.

He first met Sultan Mahmud II who was dressed in fur and a turban with an exquisite feather on its top. Neither of them bobbed their heads, only bent their knees slightly in acknowledgment. The man was accompanied by beautiful women wearing the traditional kaftan and veils over their mouths and noses.

The sultan followed him upstairs and into the ballroom. Just like the previous time, everyone stopped, bowed deeply and did not rise until he ordered them to.

Tsar Vladimir took a seat on his throne, the sultan having given a place close to him. His sister Iskra sat to his right, her tiara glowing under the candle chandelier.

His other guest arrived, the Japanese State Prince Nikó, heir to the Japanese throne. He wore his military clothes, also bringing several fine women. Vladimir paid his respects, right before the party began.

His minister took off his crown and placed on his head a jewelled hat made of brown fur. He was relieved to have the weight of the crown removed from his head, neck already beginning to strain.

Sake was served, and then Champagne as he planned. The sultan and the rest of the court raised their glasses, toasting to him. The music began playing and he was swept into a conversation with the sultan.

Vladimir immediately forgot what the conversation was about, but he knew that the sultan was bringing up the life in Ottoman empire, saying how impressed he was with the Tsar's Greek. Vladimir could not speak Turkish, but he was taught Greek as a child, just as he was taught Hungarian and French.

It was much harder for the Tsar to speak to the state Prince, since he did not speak Russian and Vladimir did not speak Japanese. He had a woman by his side translating every word, from her appearance, she seemed to be of mixed race, which explained her ability to speak both languages.

"About the peace treaty," the sultan said, the tones of his voice heavy with the Turkish accent. "I agree to all the terms, however, I do wish to regain half of Moldavia."

The Tsar raised his glass, "Then you shall have it."

But the Sultan was not done. "I also want to decide where the treaty should be signed, and I want it to be in Wallachia, next to Bulgarian territories,"

Vladimir nodded, "I'll send you my commander to sign the treaty and retreat our armies from your half of Moldavia."

Sultan Mahmud smiled, the woman beside him whom the Tsar later realised was one of the Wallachian and Moldavian boyars, also raised her chin in agreement.