A Dip in the Pool

Two weeks later,

Ami ducked through a stand of azure trees and strode to edge of a clear flowing river. Above, the stream tumbled down in a waterfall and splashed down into a large pool. She smiled with delight. She had seen the river before but she'd never been in it.

She leaned out on her tiptoes and peered into the river. She could see blue, purple and green stones sparkling on the bottom like crystals, coloring the water like a wine goblet.

She knelt, dipping a finger in the water. It was ice cold. Her teeth ached at the thought of wading in.

But she'd come too far to turn back now.

Her hand didn't change colors. But if it was blueberry stain, it would take the soap to do that.

She pulled out the soap, dipped it in the water and began scrubbing her hands vigorously.

Her hands started to foam. First, white with soap suds.

Then the suds turns a faint lavendar, a bluish lilac that grew a darker and darker blue, until it was almost indigo.

She dipped her hands back in the river.

They came up a sugary white.

She stared at her palms, tingling from the cold. There was no doubt. They were white up to the wrists. After that her skin was still blue-violet.

She bent over and peered in the still, water and studied her reflection. Blue eyes shining out of a dark blue face. Black hair with a bluish tinge. From blueberries?

What would she look like if....

She took a deep breath, stripped off the ragged blue dress and dove into the frigid water.

She wasn't prepared for the icy shock as the water closed over her head. She came up gasping and grasped the bar of soap. Then she started scrubbing before her limbs froze to numbness.

She had mixed feeling as she watched the blue stain disappear and the white skin began to shine through. It was a delightful feeling, as if she'd never been truly clean befo. But she also felt like she was losing a very dear part of herself. Something she had always identified herself by, now slipping away with the scrubbing of a bit of soap.

Who was she? Had she come from the White Isle? How did she come here?

And what did Grandfather know about it all?

Author Note: Does having her scrub off the blueberry stain to discover she's really "white" sound racist or something? I certainly never intended anything of the sort...and is one reason why I'm using the term "ivory" instead of "white." Also by describing it as sugar and paper I hope to make it clear she is NOT Caucasion! (By the way, is it odd to anyone else that peach colored skin is considered white, and tan colored black? Why not pink and brown after all?)

Hm. I don't know, maybe there's some kind of deep philosophical meaning to be delved from this, about how it's the heart that matters not skin color. But still, I feel like some people will hate the idea of the central "royal" isle being the "white" country. When I never meant anything by it and it's too late to change it now. Drat whoever first called peach skin white anyhow!

Please comment if you have any thoughts on this touchy matter (just please, be kind and considerate in stating them!). I welcome any ideas that could help me in writing/rewriting this particular thread of the story (especially as this is meant as kids fiction).