Sleepy Sherlock

John's PoV

Sherlock storms into 221B a hurricane practically spinning around his head. I'd seen him in this state before. It was complete exhaustion.

"Sherlock," I sighed, "how long has it been since you slept?"
He blinks at me slowly then nods. "Quite right John!" In one swift movement he throws himself onto the couch knocking the computer of my lap, and replacing it with his head.

He turns to face away from me and is silent. "Sher-Sherlock... you can't just. Are you awake? Sherlock!" He's silent apparently asleep.

I consider standing up but I can't remember the last time he'd slept so I decide it's not hurting anyone for us to stay like this.

I feel a smile play on my lips as he starts humming softly in his sleep. I then try not to think about his fingers brushing my leg, or how his knees have curled against my side sending goosebumps up my neck.

How can someone with no feelings for me sleep like this? So closely to me, so comfortably. I brush a bit of hair off his face feeling the curls spring around my fingers. And then brush my hand through again and again, rhythmically with his breathing.

I hardly register the door open and don't realize who it it's until he's standing right in front of me. "Lestard!" I exclaim quietly, mindful of Sherlock who had just rolled over to face me.

"Sorry Ms Hudson let me in. Was I erm interrupting something?" Greg stands indecisively in the doorway.

"No no come in! I'm just... he's just... it's not!" The feeling of Sherlock breathing on my stomach is not helping me think clearly.

Can I help you with anything? Sherlock's exhausted, but if it's important." I hadn't realized I had started petting Sherlock's curls again but apparently I had.

"No it's fine. I just was bringing a note for him. He'll be happy to hear the case wrapped up nicely."

I nod feeling myself get a bit drowsy. "Well I'll just leave this here," he sets a folded bit of paper on the mantel, "and leave you boys back to erm..." He smiles knowingly.

"No it's not that at all!" I say to quickly. "You know Sherlock, he isn't great with people and all. Personal space wise I mean." I stammer.

Lestard just tips his hat and closes the door behind him.

My hand drops back to Sherlock's head. It's almost comforting now.

"Bloody hell I never thought he would leave!" Sherlock's voice shocks me and I nearly shove him off the couch, but he sits up to quickly.

"He couldn't have left the note with Ms H and let me rest but noooo!"

"You've been awake this whole time!" I exclaim. "Of course I have and you really would make quite an brilliant sleeping partner. What with the hair petting thing and all. I think You'll sleep in my room tonight. I'd move to yours but there's a nasty draft and I do get terribly cold you understand I'm sure." He pulls his phone out and begins typing to someone else as he speaks.

"Me sleep but I no it's not!" I can't pull myself together to process what he means.

"It's evident that you return my affection. My head felt that plenty."

He turns and smirks at me. I blush knowing he's not just talking about the hair petting.

We sit in silence for a moment longer before Sherlock clicks off his phone and leans in to kiss me. I hesitate for only a moment before allowing myself the pleasure of Sherlock's lips against my own.