Chapter Five

Bella

I'm so close to him that I can feel his warm breath against my face.

I can tell he is taken aback by my boldness and honestly, I am too. I've never been like this with a patient before... but then again he isn't really a patient either.

Suddenly his chains knock against the table as he grabs my throat in his hand, squeezing it.

I gasp for air but my airway is closed.

"Is that a threat Miss Montgomery?" He asks, his voice a mock tone.

I look at him panicked and he laughs letting go.

"That's what I thought. Now either you move William out of my room or I will exterminate him." He says in a low voice. I try not to wince at his words but I fail and I know he notices. I cough and hold my neck as though trying to heal it.

The guards rush in and look between us.

"Ma'am did he hurt you?" He asks as I cough.

"No." I cough out.

"I'm just having an attack I think." I lie straight to them and I don't know why. Why am I trying so hard to protect him? He is not worth giving time to, let alone protection. He is despicable.

They nod and walk back out of the room.

I calm my breathing and glare across the table at him.

He looks down at his hands.

"What are you doing?" I ask and he looks up at me.

"What?" He asks squinting at me.

"Tell me why you're here. That is the only way I will remove William from your room." I say strictly. My hands are folded in front of me as I try my best to seem okay.

"I don't make deals lady." He says and I slam my hand down on the table.

"Tell me god damnit!" I shout and the guard calls to make sure everything is okay.

"Yes! Everything is just fine!" I call back and return my attention to Elliot.

"Tell me or so help me-"

"For fucks sake! I came here because-" he starts out loud but gets quiet.

"Because I have a lot of enemies in that prison over there. A lot of people I've gotten locked up." He says and I furrow my eyebrows.

"You know what those people would do to me if I went over there. Well it wouldn't be good, I'll tell you that." He says and I sigh. I don't know whether I should believe him or not.

I study him for a moment. His dark hair falls gently over his eyes as he looks down at his hands. He is always looking down.

"Look at me." I snap and he looks up.

He doesn't have the face of a criminal but I know everything he's done so I know he is.

"How am I supposed to believe you?" I ask looking into his deep brown eyes and he blinks.