The Blackhole

Dro is still feeling short of breath. He has been sitting here for the past ten minutes yet he’s still short of breath.

He has a bundle of 500 taka in his hands. The place where he’s sitting is an old bathroom of a house in one of the historical places in Comilla.

This morning he was all good. He had his breakfast normally and when he went up to his drawer, he found it empty! He went to his mum and shouted at her for touching his belongings. She said, “I went to your room because I needed a pen and paper to note down the milkman’s phone number as I had lost it. Why, what happened? Is something missing from your room?”

“My entire drawer is empty!!” Dro screamed.

“Oh! But it was all full of junks. When I went into your room I found that drawer full of junks, hence, I emptied it in the bin…”

Before his mother could finish Dro ran into his room and searched through his dustbin, couldn’t find it there. So, he searched through all the bins in the house! 

When he couldn’t find it anywhere he went up to his mum and asked in which bin did she throw the things of the drawer; to his utter shock his mother said that all the bins have been cleaned the night before!

He shouted and screamed as if his mum threw away something extremely precious like diamond.

Then he asked his mother if he could borrow a few thousand takas from her. He never asked for more than a thousand takas before. It felt a little suspicious to her; she started interrogating Dro. Dro was adamant not to tell her anything for a reason, and so, when he realized his mum isn’t going to give him that big an amount, he doubted his mum would give him any money. 

He went out for a walk, to cool his mind and also to find a solution of the problem in hand.

Scanning through his surroundings looking for a solution to his problem he felt as if he will go crazy.

An old man who had an office bag on one shoulder and a box of sweets on the other, seeming tensed crossing the road caught his eye. The man was repeatedly looking at the box of sweets in a suspicious manner.

Dro immediately felt he knew what he is supposed to do.

He stood beside the old man pretending to try to cross the road like the old man did. When the old man was finally across the road, Dro snatched the box of sweets without a second thought and ran faster than the wind until he was out of sight of anyone.

He opened the box of sweets and as he had thought, there weren’t any sweet inside the box….THE BOX WAS FULL OF MONEY! The box had two bundles of 500 taka notes.

He called up Nil and said he needed some of what he gave Dro the past week. He also said that he has the amount of money required ready with him.

Nil brought 2-3 packets which had something like a white powder inside it. He handed it over to Dro, and Dro paid him with one of the two bundles that he got inside the box. Then Dro went to some quiet place where he could consume the thing that was inside the packets. 

Dro was just going to start when police put a raid in that place and almost caught him until he ran immediately and jumped on a running bus which headed to Comilla.

After the bus reached Comilla, as he didn’t know where to go, he kept walking until he found a house near the bus stop, which seemed deserted.

He stayed in the house safe and peacefully until he was again raided by the local police. 

That’s when he hid himself in this stinky dark bathroom and has been there since then.

After a while, Dro started feeling a sharp pain in his stomach, and he realized he hasn’t eaten since morning. But he knew it isn’t safe to go out at this instant. He is missing his mother’s mutton biriyani right now, with all the potatoes and the soft meat coming off the bones! He wished he was on his mother’s lap and his mother would feed him the biriyani with her own hands.

Suddenly he remembered he had 2 full packets of the white powder he got from Nil today. He tried and consumed a small amount of the white substance from the packet, it was really hard to consume them in that stinky environment, and the hunger pangs went away for the time being. He started hallucinating the presence of his family; his loving mother, his father, his sweet innocent little sister, his notorious little brother and his beautiful girlfriend. He felt teardrops running down his cheeks. He finally started realizing how huge a mistake he made by tasting this poison playfully with his friends in the first place. Now this devil is slowly taking away everything from him including his excellent health!

He was now so dependent on this thing that he can’t stay stable for one single day without consuming this. His intimacy with his family has deteriorated to its limit. While thinking of all this he fell asleep. 

                                                     [Next morning]

A thin and sharp streak of sunlight, which entered through the small hole in the ceiling, hit him and woke him up. The delicacy of the sunlight made it quite obvious that it was quite early in the morning. He assumed it to be an excellent time to escape from this place and besides it wasn’t safe to stay in this place for long. He got out of that stinky bathroom and went to the nearest general shop that caught his eyes to buy food. His hands were shaking out of weakness as he bought some biscuits from the shop. A cheap restaurant was just beside the shop. He thought of having his breakfast there. He ordered some food and fell asleep while waiting for it. As soon as the waiter served him his food, he started salivating a lot and couldn’t make up his mind as in to which one to eat first. Dro ate like he hasn’t been eating for ages. 

But to Dro’s unfortune he did not know that a police officer in casuals has been on duty in this area since the moment the local police was informed about Dro. The police officer recognized him and informed the rest of his team nearby. The team came and they slowly surrounded him; too busy eating Dro did not realize what was actually happening beside him until an officer put his hand on Dro’s shoulder and said, “No more escaping from the police!”

Dro was utterly shocked as he had thought that the police have stopped searching for him.

The police surrounded him in such a way that it wasn’t possible to slip through their fingers now. He stood up and followed the police team without any attempt of trying to save his ownself.