Chapter 1

Copyright© All rights reserved.

Chapter 1

“Hey Caldwell!" Jeff called. He scooted over torwards me and started talking.

“So last night Brittney said she wanted to go out with you, and I was all like 'no way because Conner doesn't date brunette girls', then she..." he kept on going on and on about what he said, she said, they said,we said.

I zoned out, and rememberd the first night I'd seen the girl at my house.

Thomas had carried her in, since she had fallen asleep in the car, and layed her on the couch.

“Amy, come quick." he called. His wife appeared quickly, and they hovered over the sleeping child.

“Should we call the police?" she asked, after he had explained the little he knew about her.

“Maybe. I think we should talk to her, but first she needs food and to get cleaned up." he said, walking into the bathroom, and preparing a bath for the girl. He added bubbles, and made sure the water wasn't too hot or cold.

Amy had cooked pasta for dinner, and was glad she had made extra.

Their young son, Conner came downstairs for dinner and had seen the girl asleep on the couch. He took one look at her and thought she was dead. He screamed.

The girl jumped awake and her bright blue eyes looked at him. Thomas lead her the bathroom and bathed her, then they all ate.

After dinner, they decided to let her stay the night, and had her sleep on the inflatable air matress, in Conner's room. Conner watched her sleeping form as he listened to his parent's conversation downstairs.

“Can we keep her?" Amy asked her husband. She wanted the little girl. Conner was there only child, and Amy had always wanted a girl as well.

“Yes. I'll just go talk to my friend, he's a law specialist, and I know we can trust him."

They kept talking, but Conner had fallen asleep.

“Dude, Con?" Jeff asked.

“Hmm?"

“Are you alive? I just invited you to the superbowl, and you were smiling at...," he glanced in the direction I had unconciously been facing. “At Cameryn!? You have to ask her out." Colin exclamed.

“No." I said simply, taking a bite out of my sandwitch. I hated how people were so into dating for the fun of it and breaking peoples hearts when they had never loved them. I refuse to be a part of that.

“Oh, come on man. Stop being such a nerd. Put. Down. The. Book." he grupily went over to Cameryn and slammed her into the wall as he kissed her. His hand caressed he breast.

I got a headache and went the nurse's office and faked being sick. She needs to pay more attention, not that I'm complaining, but as soon as I said I was sick, she excused me from the rest of my classes.

I walked home, and arrived around one. When I knocked, I hugged the person in the doorway, thinking it was my mom. I then pulled back quickly, and found myself face to face with Morgan, the girl my parents 'adopted'.

“Sorry, you're mom's shopping." she said.

She was really pretty. She had bright blue eyes and dark brown hair, that contrasted against her pale skin. Her slim figure shifted so she was leaning against the wall.

“That's okay. So you're home early?" I asked wondering how she was already here.

“Um, I guess. I was just finishing up my classwork..." she said glancing back at the huge books on the kitchen table.

Oh, right. She's homeschooled. “So what are you studying?"

“Calculus 2. I guess the concept makes sense, but it's pretty complex."

I gawk at her incrediously. Calculus? That's college material! She's only 15, my same age, and I'm just a sophomore.

“Gosh, I feel so stupid. Gahh! I struggle with homework you probably do in your sleep."

She laughs, and sits at the table next to me. “And what is this homework I do in my sleep?" she jokes.

I pull out my homework, and start scribbling down answers. When I finish, I hand it to her to check. She takes it and reads it.

Her brow furrows. “Since when is π equal to 3.1459? Question 4 and 5 are wrong."

I grab it back, and fix my answers.

“You were right by the way, I can do that in my sleep." she says playfully nudging me.

I make a face and we laugh.

“Aww! You two are so cute." I hear my mom say.

I spin around so fast, I almost fall out of my chair.

“Mom! She's just checking my homework!" I say blushing.

“Okay. Okay. I'm sorry, continue." she says, putting her hands up in surrender.