Chapter 1

**Mandys POV**

It's the very last day of 7th grade at Davidson Day middle school, and I've still not been able to say a word to him. I don't know why I've been so scared to say something. I wish I was like Sophie, my best friend. She can like just talk to guys, and not get that whole butterfly feeling inside. She makes it look so easy. Then again I guess guys like talking to her because she's really nice and pretty with her blue eyes and strawberry blonde hair. Another thing I didn't seem to get is why she is friends with me. She's the most popular girl in the school, and I'm just invisible. Just one day I wish I would be noticed and loved by that one guy I've been crushing on since the 5th grade.

It is currently 1:30, and I'm sitting in History class right in front of him, Hayes Grier. We're watching some movie about the Civil War, and I'm just sitting there daydreaming about Hayes. I always tend to do that. I sometimes wish I could get over him because I know he's never gonna know who I am and there's a 110% chance he's never gonna like me. So, I end up doodling all over some used notebook paper when all of a sudden Hayes taps my shoulder from behind and says "Do you have a pencil I can borrow?" No words really came out of my mouth because of how much shock I was in that he actually noticed me. I finally ended up stuttering the word out of my mouth "y-yes" and just gave him mine that I was using to draw with. When I gave him the pencil, our hands touched and some spark went off in me. I don't know why I felt this way. It was just a pencil. I just don't know what to do.

The bell eventually rings, and as I'm leaving the classroom Hayes pulls me aside and says "Thanks for letting me borrow it. Here you go". And he attempts to give the pencil back to me

"No, no you can keep it" I said

"You sure?" Hayes said

"Yeah"

Then I didn't know what to say so all I said was "bye" then ran away like I was scared of him.