poem 10

1. I lost your lighter. The one you had since you were in high school. It didn’t work anymore but you took it with you everywhere. I know you wished you could’ve used it to light your cigarettes. Burn yourself alive. I know it kept you safe. I thought you’d be mad but you didn’t mind that it was gone. You don’t seem to have a problem losing things you care about.

2. You used to tell me you could taste stars in my mouth. You haven’t kissed me in days.

3. I played my favorite song for you a few months ago. I got it stuck in your head. You played it on repeat for weeks. I tried to listen to it last night and you told me to shut it off, you were sick of it.

4. I know you’re tired of trying to fix me. I think you’ve realized that there will always be nights when I fall apart. You will always have to come home and find me shaking on the bathroom floor. You will always have to try and save me. I think you finally noticed that the cuts on my wrist never heal.

5. Some nights when I’m so numb I can’t feel the covers around me, I’ll sleep on the floor. I’ve slept on the floor for the last 8 nights. You haven’t mentioned it.

6. You threw away the book I gave you for your birthday because it was damaged.

7. I saw the way you looked at her.

8. You used to make my heart beat faster. Lately, it’s been falling out of my chest. You don’t seem to mind