two

L.H.

She wasn't exactly sure how things would go at the diner. What were the odds that the one guy she didn't want asking her out would indeed ask her out to the place Natsu worked at? God, her life sucked.

Rogue Chenney was a sweet boy, but she just didn't see him that way. He brought her to the diner, sighing as she followed him to one of the tables. Her eyes instantly caught a glimpse of Natsu, noticing him carrying a tub of dishes with both hands.

She pried her attention away from him, realizing that Rogue was talking to her.

N.D.

Even when working, all he could do was hope she would stop by eventually. And that wish he did receive, albeit with a small complication.

Erza, one of the hostesses working at his dad's restaurant, and Natsu's friend, noticed him staring at Lucy. She rolled her eyes, suddenly grabbing the container of dishes from him and using one hand to shove him over to their table. "Take their order already, you loser."

Natsu glared at her before taking quick steps over to their table, pulling out a small notepad and pencil in the process. He grinned, making eye contact with the blonde beauty. "What can I get you guys?"

"A cheeseburger, please," Rogue grumbled. Natsu nodded, scribbling on the notepad.

Lucy smiled up at him. "I'll have the-"

"She'll have a salad," Rogue suddenly interrupted. "I know ladies like that." A triumphant tone pierced in his voice, unaware of the unimpressed look she shot him.

What a tool. "Let her order for herself, man," Natsu said calmly, tapping his pencil eraser against the notepad paper. She glanced at him with a grateful smile.

"How about you mind your own business, man?" Rogue suddenly stood up from his seat. The chair screeched against the tiled floor, causing everyone in the diner to look at them.

She furrowed her eyebrows together. "Rogue, sit down. Just let it go."

"No, come on. We're leaving," He suddenly grabbed her wrist, starting to drag her towards the exit.

Natsu reached a hand out to pull Rogue's hand off of her, but Lucy shot him a look that said It's okay. He smiled half-heartedly and waved, watching her being pulled out of the restaurant by her date. What just happened? He sighed, deciding to work faster to pass the time and get his shift over with.

He wondered if he'd ever get to go on a date with her. He also wondered if he'd be able to hold a proper conversation with her.

...

It was trash day. He hated trash day, especially when it was his turn. The kitchen always left some sort of concoction for him to have to not gag from. Natsu huffed, throwing the unusually large bags of garbage over his shoulders. He used his foot to push open the backdoor to the dumpsters. Then he heaved the bags into the dumpsters, wiping his hands on his pants and sighing. Just as he was about to head back inside the diner, a voice stopped him.

"There you are."

He snapped his head back to see her standing there, her hands clasped behind her. The moonlight lit up her face in the dim alley they stood in behind the diner. Natsu grinned. "Hey, stranger." Better.

She chuckled softly, tucking a golden lock of her hair behind her ear. "I'm sorry for what happened earlier."

He waved it off. "It's fine. But to be honest, your date was kind of a jerk."

She laughed, sighing afterwards. "I know. Thanks for sticking up for me."

"Any time. Here, you're shivering." He shrugged his black jacket off of his shoulders, holding it out for her to take.

She nodded gratefully, grabbing the warm jacket from his hands and putting it around her shoulders. "Thank you."

"I should really finish locking up before I get out of here, but it was nice talking to you," He showed her a small grin. Conversational skills: 1; Awkwardness: 0. He was just grateful he hadn't lost the ability to speak altogether while in front of her.

"Wait!"

He turned his body to look at her this time. He celebrated internally for the chance to see the way her eyes lit up in expectation.

"Do you...er...want to go anywhere after your shift? Just as a thank you for the incident with Rogue," She said shyly.

He quirked an eyebrow. "Right now? Like at this very moment?"

She stared at him, a doubtful feeling settling in her chest. "I mean, we don't have to if you don't want to--"

"No, no. It's not that. It's just I kind of smell like trash right now," He mumbled, gesturing to himself. "I don't think you'd want to be walking around with someone that smells like rotten fish and old leftovers." He hoped the jacket he had given to her moments before didn't smell as badly as he did.

Whether it did or not, she didn't comment on it. She stifled a laugh. "Oh."

"How about tomorrow-after I finish my shift? I'm not on trash duty," He grinned sheepishly.

She nodded, pulling the jacket closer to her. "Sounds like a date?"

He smiled, looking at her chocolate brown eyes. "I guess it is."

She chuckled before beginning to turn around. She stopped herself and took the jacket off her shoulders, walking over to him to hand it back.

He glanced at her outstretched hands, holding his black jacket.

"Before I forget," She smiled up at him. "You're shivering."

He shook his head. "Keep it. It looks better on you."