chapter 14

They check me into the psych ward. The very first thing I have to do is pat me down. The doctor has me put my hands against the wall and spread my legs. She checks me thoroughly, stopping at my pocket. “What is that?”

            “My cellphone,” I reply.

            “I’m going to have to take that,” she informs, holding her hand out.

            I sigh as I dig it out of my pocket, placing it hesitantly into her hand. I know they’re trying to keep me safe or whatever, but honestly, it feels like they’re trying to break me down by cutting all of my contacts with the outside world.

            She withdraws a large brown paper bag from her pocket, opening the bag and dropping the phone inside. She leads me to the bathroom, telling,

            “I’m sorry, Gerard, but someone’s going to have to watch you change into these.” She holds up a hospital gown with white slippers with grippers on the bottom. “I can do it, but I can get a male staff member if you’d like.”

            “What for?” I ask.

            “It’s so you don’t hide anything to hurt yourself with,” she explains. “I’m sorry, but if your addiction has gotten so serious to the point that you’re in a psych ward, we have to do all we can to keep you safe.”

            “I’d rather have a boy watch,” I decide, not wanting a girl to see me get possibly naked.

            “Alright. Come with me,” she orders.

            I follow her down the hall where she finds a guy dressed in all white like she is. He’s handsome, with shaggy brown hair, dark hazel eyes, and a mole on his jaw.

             She tells him, “This is Gerard, Gerard, this is Sam. If you could do me a favor and watch him change?”

            “Sure,” Sam replies, as if that were a totally normal question.

            The doctor hands him the paper bag and my clothes. He puts a huge hand on my shoulder and guides me to the nearest bathroom, locking the door behind him.

            He watches, bored, from the corner as I take off my shirt, revealing my pale and bony torso. I ask him,

            “Am I allowed to keep my underwear on?”

            He nods, replying, “Some patients on suicide watch aren’t even allowed that because of the elastic band, but you can.”

            I undo my belt slowly, really not wanting to pull down my pants. God, if I would’ve known that a hot guy who was only like 25 was going to be watching me change, I wouldn’t have worn my pink briefs. I hesitantly lower my jeans to my ankles, kicking off my shoes and stepping out of my jeans. I put on the gown which is…. Shit….. open in the back. Fucking perfect, everyone in this hospital will get a great look at my pink underwear. I then step into the slippers, gathering my clothes and asking,

            “What do I do with these?”

            Sam takes them, adding them to the bag, which is now bulging due to all of my stuff being crammed inside it. “I’m going to give this to the front desk, then I’ll take you back to Dr. Hayward.”

            I walk gripping the back of my gown, holding the ends so the open space is shut.

            Sam smirks at me, and I feel myself go red. “You know, there’s probably at least 7 or 8 guys walking around with the backs open and their ass hanging out. Just be glad you’re not one of them.”