Chapter 2

Sirena's POV

"Are you just going to stand there or what?" Patrick asked.

"Fine then let's just get this over with" I said to him.
I checked him over more carefully than the other two because I just kept seeing messed up muscles.

"Why aren't you taking care of your body properly? You know you're in a professional sport right? It shouldn't be like this." I commented.

"What do you mean, I take great care of my body. I don't have to take orders from you anyhow." Patrick rudely replied and crossed his arms.

"Didn't mean to offend but I am the physical therapist and the one with a degree in it, I think I know what I'm doing, you'll just need a massage today along with an ice bath afterwords but you have to start warming up by stretching first." I replied softly, I do have anxiety issues and they're starting to come out now, it only happens if my secret and my past are in danger of getting revealed though. And this has nothing to do with it, strange. I was starting to shake a little bit from the yelling.

"I don't have to do anything you say, and I don't want to listen to you, what do you you know about hockey anyways?" Patrick said before exiting and slamming the door.

I don't know what his problem is, I was just doing my job, which at least Toews was super respectful and supportive towards me. Heck he was even appreciative and wanted critiques. And I've already seen pretty much everyone play on the film earlier, Patrick was some of the sloppiest forms.

I've had a super hard time getting comfortable in new surroundings, new people, in a new city, since I don't need more stress at work, I decided I'll ask about Patrick to Toews later.

I was off earlier than usual because of all the new information, so I managed to start my way home to my new apartment, after I stopped for a quick meal at some cafe. I was too lazy to cook plus I also wanted some fancier coffee. As I was starting to leave the cafe, I noticed it was raining outside, I sighed, it looks like I'll have to wait the rain out. I decided to sit back down and ordered another vanilla latte and grabbed out my laptop and plugged in my earbuds. One of my side hobbies is writing and composing music.

I didn't even realize that someone sat down next to me. Someone tapped on my shoulder and I looked up and smile, it was Toews. Then I saw Patrick and my smile left. Both of them noticed. I didn't bother to take out either earbud, I just continued my artwork. I could tell both Toews and Kane were looking right at me. I just never socialize anymore, I haven't even talked to my brother for a while. It's normal for me to be closed off and I like it that way, so that no one can ever get close to me and find out everything about me and hurt me again.

Patrick got fed up and took my earbuds off. I made and annoyed look and didn't even say anything much less acknowledged them. I'm still a little upset with Patrick earlier today. Toews started to physically signal he was getting uncomfortable by looking around, I noticed and he saw and turned sheepish.

Suddenly, a waiter came crashing in with a glass of water in their hands and it splashed on me. I freaked out silently and I could tell I showed it on my face. I've dealt with this situation a lot over the years, but I didn't think it'd happen so soon in Chicago. Before the change happened, I managed to get into the bathroom and locked it behind me. I quickly heard footsteps behind me wondering what happened. I flopped on the floor as my tail appeared, it's one of the reasons why I quit hockey after playing it my whole life. I'm still super sad about that.

"What's going on, you've been acting weird ever since you came?" Patrick asked through the door.

"I heard a flop, are you hurt? What's with the rush?" Toews asked.

"If you guys didn't already get the message earlier, I wanted to be alone, always have always will," I responded while I was drying myself off.

That was a super close call tonight, I don't think I'm going to be eating out again. Apparently I can't show my face in this town again.

When I got back to my apartment, I check my mail and found I had a letter and a package addressed to me from my brother.

I was adopted when I was born into my adoptive family. When I was seven years old they had a son, Eric. We've always been close especially when it came to hockey. As the years went by; me getting a tail and quitting hockey, the accident, we slowly went our separate ways. He just graduated from college at University of North Dakota, which he played hockey for. I've never told anyone about me getting me mermaid tail which was around the time that I was invited to go to an NHL draft. I never told anyone about that either because at the time there wasn't any girls in the NHL. There's only one right now currently, but I wouldn't know how things would've worked out for me. And the car accident that killed my parents and severely injured me and prevent me from finishing my senior year of hockey in college and went through with the draft.I had a lot of physical therapy and that's what brought me into it.

I opened the box first, it had an old looking letter on it to, I took the letter and opened it, it read: "Dearest daughter, I'm sorry we had to give you up, but it wasn't our choice, you would've been in grave danger if you stayed with us. You wouldn't deserve a life in hiding with us. I hope the lovely couple that agreed to raise you can give you a life that you deserve. I deeply apologize I couldn't there for you, I wish I could've been. Attached to this letter should be a book explaining everything. I made sure you'd already go through the changes before reading this letter. I know we will see each other someday soon. Your birth mother".

The book looked super old and inside of it had a charm bracelet, with a jewel of every color, and in the middle, had a mermaid charm. I smiled and put it on my wrist. I wasn't too eager to read the book so I just put it on the counter. I could tell my brother didn't open any of it, he explained in his letter what's been going on and that h just discovered this only thing left of my birth mother.

With the business of moving into Chicago and my new job and settling in, I wasn't up to date on what happened over the summer with the draft, but my brother also mentioned in his letter that he was going to be playing with the Penguins and managed to get a contract with them.

I'm super happy for Eric, it was his dream and it came true. Which means I'm going to be seeing him in three days when the Blackhawks go to Pittsburgh to play the Penguins.