Chapter 14: "Last Hope"

Strongly recommend that you listen to the song while reading ^^

She opens her crystalline eyes again before jumping off her bed. Her footsteps can be heard throughout the whole house, but she didn't care. Nor if anyone heard the scream she gave into a pillow.

It pisses her off that she couldn't do anything to stop him. She felt useless, like a horrible friend.

It has been a week since he and (Y/F/N) left to find you. At least he kept his words. He did text her and made sure to let her know he's fine. But it doesn't mean she's still not dying inside.

•••

"Do we have it?"

"We're close to getting it, don't worry."

The man sighs, placing a hand on his forehead.

"I do worry! They're getting close, and I can't afford to lose everything because we don't have the damn Pokémon yet."

With that said, he stormed out of the room. The other man sighs.

•••

She stands under a tree. It is scalding hot on Fallarbor. (Y/F/N) looks away, trying to hide her face from Steven.

They've been traveling for almost a month. Life on the road is tougher than they imagined, but they kept pushing forward. They couldn't give up now, they were too close.

And yet, tears of frustration came out of (Y/F/N)'s eyes. She took that moment to cry in silence while Steven is at the Poké Mart. She runs to route 114 to splash some water on her face before he comes back.

"I got some repels for us. Shall we continue?" He says, as he approaches your best friend.

She gulps.

"Steven, I..." She tries, but the words don't come out. She didn't want to admit she wanted to go home. This is too much for her to handle, and she should've never asked to come along.

Steven kneels next to her and puts his hand on her back. Her skin is hot from the sun.

"I know" He simply states, patting her back in a friendly manner. She looks back at him, in shock. He's not surprised to see her eyes swollen from crying.

"I'm sorry. I wanted to keep going, but I just can't."

Steven pulls her into a hug. He knows the feeling of wanting to do something, but not being able to. He can't blame her for giving up. If there wasn't too much at risk, he probably would've given up by now.

"It's okay, (Y/F/N). I'm not mad at you" He reassures her, tightening the hug.

"I am" She sobs, pulling away to wipe her face. "We swore to protect each other if something were to happen. I thought she was kidding, when in reality it was a cry for help. Now look at me, I can't even make it to her location. We probably are at the same level of bad friendliness" She laughs by her nose, even if she didn't think it was that funny.

"I know. I still hate myself for leaving May at that state..." He sighs.

"She understands. Trust me, she does. Her aggressiveness is her own way of letting you know she's scared..." She opens up a side smile. "Just like you."

Steven chokes on his drink.

"What?" He asks rhetorically, in disbelief.

"(Y/N) can be mad at you, but she can't stop talking about her childhood with you" (Y/F/N) smiles at the memory of you babbling about Steven. "She used to be like 'Steven and I used to do this,' or 'Oh, that sounds like little Steven.' It was adorable, actually."